Xantias "jumping" front ends - solution !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vince
My Cars:

Xantias "jumping" front ends - solution !

Post by vince »

Guys, i have had a problem for a while on my Xantia which resulted in the front end jumping to top position when turning into a parking space and in drive throughs the front end would rise to top and then crash to lowest position. The car has also been riding high on the front end slightly for ages. I know other people on here have had this same thing happen to them.....well in case your unsure i know the fault and the cure....and its simple and cheap :-D

What was causing this on mine was the small anti roll bar bracket which attaches to the dog bone on the front height corrector. The bar that comes off it that the dog bone connects to was deformed and bent so not in its true position. This was the cause!

The solution....a new bracket costing £24 all in from Citroen. Once fitted, which took my mechanic literally 5 minutes, the ride height was back correct again and the front end no longer rises or drops when turning :P

An amazing result for me as its such a change to the cars driveability and such a simple and cheap fix.... a welcome change on a hydraulic Citroen :lol:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: Xantias "jumping" front ends - solution !

Post by Citroenmad »

Sounds like a nice and easy fix which would make a good deal of difference :)

Oddly our C5 estate does it but my C5 doesn't I might well look into this :-D
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Just out of interest, what do you think caused its initial deformation and
couldn't it have been 'persuaded' back into alignment for an even cheaper fix!!?
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Apparently they just bend over time ? going off what the citroen indy said who fixed it. It is a common problem.

i know mine was wrongly fitted or moved by a garage in liverpool i used to use when i worked over there.

Also, if you try to bend them back they just snap apparently so you always end up buying a new one.

Not a bank breaker though :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

You're quite right Vince, I'd forgotten one of mine had rusted the activating arm clean off!
Being very small diameter and made out of mild steel underneath the car don't help. :D
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
albertz78
My Cars:

Post by albertz78 »

Hi, Guys, does anyone know the proper name or part no. for this "the small anti roll bar bracket which attaches to the dog bone on the front height corrector. The bar that comes off it that the dog bone connects to was deformed and bent so not in its true position."
My forte estate has always been slightly high at the front and has lifted at the front when turning into parking spaces for a while now.
Cheers, Michael
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Michael, it's called a 'Control Lever'

Here's a page from the parts list:

Note that there are differing diameters of Anti Roll Bar which affect the part number of the lever. Those illustrated are for the 1.9TD hatch. If you let us know your exact model the correct part numbers for your car can be advised...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
albertz78
My Cars:

Post by albertz78 »

Hi There, thanks for the reply. Mine is an 01 (on an x plate) xantia forte 110 estate, cheers, Michael
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

albertz78 wrote:Mine is an 01 (on an x plate) Xantia forte 110 estate, cheers, Michael
OK, this evening I'll get the picture up specially for that one. It will be different I expect...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
albertz78
My Cars:

Post by albertz78 »

CitroJim wrote:
albertz78 wrote:Mine is an 01 (on an x plate) Xantia forte 110 estate, cheers, Michael
OK, this evening I'll get the picture up specially for that one. It will be different I expect...
thankyou
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Same picture, but estate looks to use a 23mm Dia roll bar on the front, so the part number is 529114 - price is the same at £28.88
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Richard :-D
Jim

HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

How strange this should be mentioned ! Mine has developed the habit but only temporarily after driving over those speed bump strips used on the entrance to some shopping area car parks. After going over the strip when I am parking the nose will just jump up to full height then settle down again, sometimes 2 or 3 times !
Next day all is fine. I was just living with it but now I'll investigate that part. Cheers.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

HDI wrote:How strange this should be mentioned ! Mine has developed the habit but only temporarily after driving over those speed bump strips used on the entrance to some shopping area car parks. After going over the strip when I am parking the nose will just jump up to full height then settle down again, sometimes 2 or 3 times !
If the front of the car jumps up and down when there is a fair degree of steering lock applied it's normal, "They all do that Guv".
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

It's only after going over those speed bump strips. The car will just be stationary with wheels straight, doesn't happen during parking.. It only started doing it about 6 months ago.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !