Identifying wheel cylinders

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MARKBLACK
My Cars:

Identifying wheel cylinders

Post by MARKBLACK »

Hi, just wondering if anybody has any ideas how I identify the rear wheel cylinders on my peugeot 306 (L Reg) diesel car
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Are you saying you don't know where they are or what they look like, or that you need to get replacements and want to make sure you get the right ones.
Dave
MARKBLACK
My Cars:

Post by MARKBLACK »

sorry I should have made it clearer.
I need to get replacements and want to make sure I get the right ones. I need to use the car to pick them up so matching by taking them offs out of the question.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Thought thats what you meant, unfortunately I can't offer you any advice on positive identification of the cylinders.
There appears to be four or five types, Girling or Bendix with or without ABS and with or without compensator.
You need to at least narrow it down by knowing which make are fitted, the name is usually cast into the cylinder, I think the only way of knowing if they have compensators is to take one to bits so thats not an option in your case.
Your best bet to getting the correct parts is at a main dealer on supplying a chassis number, but you will be paying an inflated price in doing so.
My local motor factor can get all the information on the car including the chassis numbers from the DVLC online using the reg. number, they then phone the local main dealers with the c/number and get positive identification of the part, though this is the car makers part number I suppose, what you could do with is the cylinder manufacturers part number if this is possible.
You could whip a drum off and note any numbers, measurements or special features of the casting in an attempt to narrow it down.
Good luck
Dave
MARKBLACK
My Cars:

Post by MARKBLACK »

Hi, Dave thanks for your input: Ive had the wheels off and checked the cylinder, the cars ten years old and all I see on the cylinder is a number 2 the rest has worn off. Suppose I can narrow it down to three/four as mine dosen't have ABS not sure about compensator though, I'm not really a peugeot man Ive always had vauxhalls until this one.
Off hand do you know where the compensator is fitted? Ive noticed what looks like a compensator near the o/s/r wheel. Are we talking about the same compensator do these things compensate weight of people on the car? ((that sort of thing))
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Mark I was under the impression that the compensator might be an integral part of the cylinder, some cylinders Iv'e seen have had springs pistons and seals beyond whats normaly found in a wheel cylinder, though these were not Peugoet cars.
The online shop makes reference to "comp" which I assume is compensator, why there should be a reference to it if they are not integral is beyond me.
The only time Iv'e seen compensators or pressure restrictors on car rear drum brakes has been on estates, it is however common to find them when rear disc brakes are fitted.
Is the device near the o/s/r wheel plumbed into the brake pipes only, if its a diagonaly split system there should be two of them if its a pressure restricter, these things take no notice of what the loading on the rear axle is they just limit maximum pressure.
My ZX estate has a compensator that is worked by the rise and fall of the suspension arm, the main valve body is bolted to the chassis and the operating lever is located on the bottom damper bolt, there are two pipes in and two out as its diagonaly split, is it this type of thing that you see.
The compensator is there because the estate has much larger drums than the hatch.
Have you had a look at the types available in the online shop.
http://www.gsfcarparts.com
Dave
MARKBLACK
My Cars:

Post by MARKBLACK »

Hi Dave, you've got me thinking now, think I will get the haynes manual out and see what it says about these compensaters. I always thought of the compensater to be on all cars I thought it was to do with weight, but you are right the spares depts do mention comp and abs so I suppose if I can find out if my motor has a comp on it, I could narrow it down more.