s**t Happens

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Monkee-Mike

s**t Happens

Post by Monkee-Mike »

Good Day to you all.
Right just need some advice on the way home from whilst gently driving around the wazza roundabout i heard a snap...then no steering, no air con no bloody cold air at all....had to fight the steering all the way home 5 minute drive....once i arrived home after screaming expletives to the mrs and kids i popped open the bonnet to find a belt had snapped...it's the one that goes around the alternator....my questions is this.

1 What is this belt.
2 How much to repair.
3 is it an easy job.

The car in question is a Xantia HDi 90 Forte year 2000.
Any Help much appreciated.
Monkee-Mike

Re: (-expletive removed-) Happens

Post by Monkee-Mike »

Is it the Drive Belt Part Number 6PK1740?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

1. Auxiliary belt. Drives the alternator, hydraulic Pump and aircon compressor.

2. Depends. On an HDi you may just be lucky that it was a tired belt. However, you were bloody lucky it's didn't flail around and take the cambelt out too...

Before replacing it check the tensioners and the crank pulley. Either the crank pulley (a dual-mass affair) may have failed or one or the other of the tensioners may have failed. One's a spring-loaded automatic job and the other is a static eccentric tensioner. Did you hear any clonking prior to this that might suggest the crank pulley is looking for an alternative lifestyle in the bin? Red dusty rust on it is a clue.

3. yes, actually it is - fairly. Remove the RH mudshield protecting that side of the engine and the belt. Release the spring-loaded tensioner using a 15mm spanner on the centre hex, pin the tensioner back in its off position and slip on the new belt. Release the tensioner. Run the engine and check the new belt is running absolutely true on all pulleys and that tensioners are not cocked over to one side. Listen for any clonks from the crank pulley when starting or stopping engine and look for the powdery rust on it as a clue. If in doubt replace.

Also, inspect the cambelt covers for signs of damage. If you find any the cambelt covers MUST come off for inspection and potential replacement of the cambelt too...

I've painted a grim picture there. I expect and hope it's just a simple failure...

Isn't the steering heavy though, with no power assistance!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Monkee-Mike

Post by Monkee-Mike »

Citro Jim your a knight in shinning armour.
Just been out to check around the pulleys and tensioners all seem fine no sign of the red dust no loose cams. Cambelt cover looks in tact.
No Clonking noise prior just the sound of an elastic band snapping.
steering wasnt that bad before could fling round corners but once this had happened i was practically swinging on the steering wheel both arms and feet lol. i had to manouver two more roundabouts it looked like from the outside world i was driving an articulated lorry with how wide the car was swinging round the corners.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's good news :-D

As for belt size Mike, it depends on your aircon compressor:

Sanden: 6PK1736 (a 6PK1740 should be fine)

Delph or Hutchinson: 6PK1750
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Monkee-Mike

Post by Monkee-Mike »

Just been on eurocarparts and they have recommended the 6PK1740 £21.50.. For my model continental too i thought they only do tyres.
Well hope this weather keeps cos i know what im doing this weekend lol...
Thanks Jim for the Top Advice much appreciated
evilclive

Post by evilclive »

Monkee-Mike wrote:Citro Jim your a knight in shinning armour.
steering wasnt that bad before could fling round corners but once this had happened i was practically swinging on the steering wheel both arms and feet lol. i had to manouver two more roundabouts it looked like from the outside world i was driving an articulated lorry with how wide the car was swinging round the corners.
Don't you lose brakes and suspension too?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

evilclive wrote:Don't you lose brakes and suspension too?
Steering first then suspension followed eventually by brakes as pressure subsides.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

I turned the engine off once going downhill to see what happened. Eek never again. Felt like no steering and no brakes to me rather than suspension but I didn't wait very long before turning the engine back on!
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Jaf wrote:I turned the engine off once going downhill to see what happened. Eek never again. Felt like no steering and no brakes to me rather than suspension but I didn't wait very long before turning the engine back on!
If you have no brakes when your engine isn't running then it's way past time to replace your accumulator sphere! (and anti-sink sphere)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool