mk1 berlingo stiff clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john
My Cars:

mk1 berlingo stiff clutch

Post by john »

so for the last 8 years ive been used to having a hydraulic clutch, my newly acquired mk1 berlingo has a cable and it feels stiff, it ok for about 3/4 of the pedal travel but the last 1/4 is stiff, i also have difficulty engaging the gears unless the pedal is on the floor and even then sometime it feels like i have to force it into gear, the car has just literally done 81,000.

what are these symptons consistant with? needing a new clutch cable? new clutch?
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
citronut
My Cars:

Re: mk1 berlingo stiff clutch

Post by citronut »

i would think the clutch is on its last legs,

regards malcolm
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

there is no juddering or slipping and its only done 81k, are the clutch not the best then?
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Most psa vehicles suffer from this problem rather than wearing out.
81k is not a bad mileage for a clutch, it may last 20 more, but your leg will suffer. Many will come here and tell you it's the cable, but this is far less likely.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

Lighty wrote:Most psa vehicles suffer from this problem rather than wearing out.
81k is not a bad mileage for a clutch, it may last 20 more, but your leg will suffer. Many will come here and tell you it's the cable, but this is far less likely.
that another vote for the clutch then?

a quick look on eurocarpart show 4 clutch kits for my car, valeo, 2xtransmech & sachs, the sachs is the "recommended" at just over £98 (but they also have a 30% off voucher so would be around £70), anyone any experience with an of these makes?
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i dont trust ECP as they squeeze there buying in price down so much the supplier reduces the quality,

i belive this to be true what ever brand your buying from them,

that is if they aint counterfeit in the first place,
if you post your chassis/VIN No. i will get you the correct OE part No., then you can aim this at your local factors maybe GSF,
unless you have a Motorquipe stockist localy,

regards malcolm
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

citronut wrote:if you post your chassis/VIN No. i will get you the correct OE part No., then you can aim this at your local factors maybe GSF,
unless you have a Motorquipe stockist localy,

regards malcolm
will pm you

john
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

this is the price and part No. for your clutch

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
00002052A7 CLUTCH KIT 203.38 GBP 244.06 GBP 244.06 GBP

regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

return pm sent John

regards malcolm
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Although everyone on here seems to say 'clutch' I'd suggest you first try the cable, it's a common problem, the plastic inner lining gathers up and applies a braking effect on the inner cable under load.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

valeo make the original clutches , I've never been a great fan of Sachs although they are the o.e. manufacturers for several major manufacturers. I 've used lots of the transmech clutches on all makes of vehicles and found them to be excellent value for money. The only fault I have found is that some vehicles are prone to slight judder with these fitted. Vauxhall Astras being the main culprit. I have to disagree with Malcolm (not something I readily do) about ECP. I've used them for all my clutches for the last couple of years. The problem rate with Valeo or LUK clutches is about 0.25 %. I would guess this compares with the warranty rate on new vehicles.I can guarantee that the LUK clutches are genuine as I regularly register the coded points coupons supplied with their website. ECP are such a massive organisation that they do indeed secure their parts at heavily discounted prices, but this is to the advantage of the big manufacturers (LUK, Valeo, Sachs) as they have reversed the trend of people buying patterned parts. I now only use pattern clutches for very common vehicles, such as Fiesta and Focus because these are very price competitive. ECP are a bit like tescos, not lovable but useful.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Mr flying clutchman
i was not refering especialy to ECP's clutch's,

my experience with there shoddy goods was firstly a pair of front suspension arms for a V*L*O V70 the bushing didnt even last a year, and that was 99% local town use, the bush's fell apart,
the second issue was an OE fitment Lambda sensor in a Bosh box, i fitted it to a customers car that had failed the MOT on emissions along with a cat from ECP,
i took the car in for a re/test and it failed again, this time it was definitely the Lambda sensor not kicking in how ever long we held the rev's up,
so i went back to my workshop fitted the old sensor took it back and it past,

the only reason i attempted to fit a new sensor was most factors recommend fitting one at the same time4 as a new cat,

regards malcolm
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

fortunately or unfortunately I normally only deal with clutches, so I can only comment in that direction. I think there's definitely a problem with conterfeit electronic items every where.