Xantia Front Suspension "Dipping"

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gadgetgricey

Xantia Front Suspension "Dipping"

Post by gadgetgricey »

Not certain if its affecting the drive of the car, may be a little firmer at the front but not really noticeable.

However just left the engine running outside Asda whilst wifey popped in to fetch something.

The front of the car seems to drop about a cm every 20 secs or so, but then immediatly rises up again.
Dont know if its connected, but the front also takes much longer to rise that the back.

Any suggestions.

- Dave -
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia Front Suspension "Dipping"

Post by CitroJim »

Rattiva does this Dave and she also sinks at the front reasonably promptly seeing she's an anti-sink. Cause in mine is worn struts causing a high leakage. It's Rattiva so I don't worry about it, it does not affect the drive at all.

In your case, you may well find either the front corner spheres are ruptured or the centre hydractive sphere is ruptured. If all these spheres are good and the front sinks then it's most likely a touch of wear in the front struts...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

or wear in the drop links :)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

CitroJim wrote:In your case, you may well find either the front corner spheres are ruptured or the centre hydractive sphere is ruptured. If all these spheres are good and the front sinks then it's most likely a touch of wear in the front struts...
Hi there Jim.

Is there an easy way to check re ruptured spheres. Actually have "spares" off the estate that I'm breaking so may just swap the front ones over....

re the centre hydractive sphere. Is that the one attached to the engine block, or the front subframe???
Chris570 wrote:or wear in the drop links :)
???? Think I'll try the spheres first :-D :-D

Thanks again both

- Dave -
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

gadgetgricey wrote:
CitroJim wrote:In your case, you may well find either the front corner spheres are ruptured or the centre hydractive sphere is ruptured. If all these spheres are good and the front sinks then it's most likely a touch of wear in the front struts...
Hi there Jim.

Is there an easy way to check re ruptured spheres. Actually have "spares" off the estate that I'm breaking so may just swap the front ones over....

re the centre hydractive sphere. Is that the one attached to the engine block, or the front subframe???
Chris570 wrote:or wear in the drop links :)
???? Think I'll try the spheres first :-D :-D

Thanks again both
Front crossmember is the hydractive block/centre sphere

remember that the height is set by the angle of the arb so if the drop links are worn it can cause fun. does on my HDi ;)

- Dave -
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
MTND
My Cars: Xantia 1.9td sx early N reg 1995. owned 17 years!
Alfa Romeo 916 Spider 2005.
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017, Nearly done 300 miles

Post by MTND »

gadgetgricey wrote:
The front of the car seems to drop about a cm every 20 secs or so, but then immediatly rises up again.
Dont know if its connected, but the front also takes much longer to rise that the back.

Any suggestions.

- Dave -
It's the same as when modern buses are at the bus stops, it's to help passengers get in and out :-D :wink:
1995 Xantia 1.9 TD SX owned 17 years
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV Spider 2005
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017