xantia key fob

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tim456

xantia key fob

Post by tim456 »

Hi all, I have searched the forum and couldn't see my answer so here goes , for some reason my original key fob has stopped talking to my car, I have changed the battery and still no joy, it does not have any led lights on the fob so the info I found on the internet is of no help to me. Is there a way I can reprograme my fob to my car or is it more in depth than that? Can anyone shed any light on how I start my resolve please. Thanks...tim
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Xantia key fob

Post by Xaccers »

Is it a Mk1? With an IR fob?
First thing to do is point it at a digital camera (mobile phone, webcam, camcorder, all should do the job) and you should see the transmit IR LED flash white, which shows it is working.
Now my memory on the process is a bit rusty, but to re-register it with the car, you need the ignition set to the first click (someone will correct me if it's actually the second).
Then hold the fob a couple of inches from the receiver dome and press the lock button on and off for 30 seconds.
Take the key out of the ignition and give it a test.
If you've only got 1 key, you can remove the internals from the fob and hold that near the receiver dome while the key part is in the ignition.

If it's a Mk2 with the RF fob, you'll need your car's 4 digit security code which is on a credit card sized card that has probably been long lost, so take your V5 to your local dealer and ask them for the code, then find someone with a Lexia to match the key to the car.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
tim456

Post by tim456 »

Hi , it has the rf fob but luckily as I have so much history with the car when I bought it I have the original card with the scratch off key code does that help? Cheers tim
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Great :)
Take a look at http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and find someone near you with a Lexia, get in touch and see if they're able to reprogram your car/key.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Have you tried re-synching it by turning the ignition on and pressing each of the buttons in turn? Sometimes you have to do that after a battery change.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
tim456

Post by tim456 »

Hi no I haven't tried that yet but I've had a mad day at work today and I've had a couple of glasses of wine so will steer clear of getting into the car tonight and will try that on the morning...thanks
tim456

Post by tim456 »

Well that was a nice easy fix, I pressed both buttons in turn whilst ignition was on as suggested and now all working . Thanks a million for the tip...tim
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

reblack68 wrote:Have you tried re-synching it by turning the ignition on and pressing each of the buttons in turn? Sometimes you have to do that after a battery change.
It also happens if you press the buttons too many times while out of range of the car - it will then need re-syncing. I haven't experimented to see how many times you have to press it out of range (I've tried 10 times without problems) but I believe its somewhere around 25 presses.

Perhaps some kids thought it was a good idea to press the buttons a few dozen times ? :lol:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

RF sets can get out of sync because the rolling codes no longer match.
The rolling code is used to add extra variable numbers in the transmitted signal.
It is a security feature added to make life difficult for thieves using signal reading scanners.
Plip and car receiver both contain the list of rolling codes.
With each use of the Plip in range both Plip and receiver roll on to the next number in the sequence.
Out of range presses will roll over just the Plip causing the pair to be out of sequence.
The number of presses to resync depends on the total number of different codes in the roll list.
Most systems typically only use 2 codes in the list so resync just needs one in range press to get back in sync.
If the car has two Plips each will have a different set of rolling codes.
Early Citroen RF sets have the rolling codes preset and cannot be reprogrammed even with a Lexia.
Later Citroen RF sets can be recoded by Lexia.

John
Xmexclusive
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

xmexclusive wrote:Early Citroën RF sets have the rolling codes preset and cannot be reprogrammed even with a Lexia.
Later Citroën RF sets can be recoded by Lexia.
What dates are you referring to with that statement John?

From my own experiences I've found the opposite to be the case.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH