C3 diesel immobiliser/central locking problem/s?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nobeard
My Cars:

C3 diesel immobiliser/central locking problem/s?

Post by nobeard »

Bought a C3 HDi 2 days ago [2003], today the central locking has stopped working & the car won't start, the engine turns over but that's it, it doesn't even try to fire.. i'm guessing the two things must be linked but i can't work it out.. does anyone know what it is please?
Time Flies Like an Arrow,, Fruit Flies Like a Banana (Groucho)
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Re: C3 diesel immobiliser/central locking problem/s?

Post by miked »

I just replied to your post about code readers, looks like you do need one.
I can't think why central locking and failure to start would be connected but I'm no expert. By central locking do you mean just the keyfob buttons or is it when you unlock one door with the key the others don't unlock?
I know strange things happen if the (car) battery is flattened then charged or if it is changed without following a set procedure. After I naively changed mine the fob buttons stopped working and that is when I got my lexia to re-pair the fobs to the car. The car still unlocked and started on the key though.

Where are you? Are you aware of the list of lexia owner members: clicky-> http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Obviously you're not going to be able to drive to them though.
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

I would try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting, it may reboot the system, and can't do any harm.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Lighty wrote:I would try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting, it may reboot the system, and can't do any harm.
It can if you rush it!

Driver's window open.
Open bonnet.
Close doors.
Wait ten minutes, half an hour if you have built in satnav, then check the red light on the satnav is out. If not, wait until it is.
Remove battery.
Short the leads together through a resistor (light bulb is ideal) for one minute.
Remove the resistor and hold the battery leads together for a further minute.

To replace:
Refit battery and connect the leads.
Wait ten minutes.
Reach in through the drivers window and turn on the sidelights.
Wait five minutes.
Open the door, turn off the lights, wait a couple of minutes and turn the ignition key to services.
Wait two minutes.
Start the car and let it idle for at least ten minutes.

Pain in the posterior. I was supposed to do the latter part this evening on my estate but was sidetracked, will have to wait 'til tomorrow now.

I was having slow starting problems. Replaced the battery but no improvement after the first day. Some days it would not start and then the batteries were swapped - keep one on charge all the time.
I have been ascribing it to high resistance leads and/or terminals but since the estate has languished round at my daughter's house, it seems that I have a current drain, necessitating battery swaps when I need to shift the car.

Once I did shortcut the process and it took hours to get the car started after that, invoked the immobiliser and it wouldn't let go, had to go through the whole performance again.
nobeard
My Cars:

Post by nobeard »

Thank's for replies guys, i do have an update, but first i'll answer what was asked:
Remote central locking went off, the key opened the doors but i had to lock them again manually & i had no alarm;
Key battery was 3v, so not that;
Car battery hasn't lost charge, it seems to be well healthy;
I'm in Teesside & i realise now that i'll need to get a Lexia kit myself, albeit a cheapo one off ebay;
I don't have sat nav, it's a March 2003 HDi desire (although it has LX on rear side pillars).

I decided, 'cos i couldn't think of anything better really, to try disconnecting & reconnecting the battery. I hadn't yet read these replies so all i did was remove the negative terminal for about 5 seconds then put it back on again, no sparks occured. To my amazement the car started instantly, and remote central locking/alarm are working again.. how very, very odd.
nobeard
My Cars:

Post by nobeard »

Another update, i found the exact same thing mentioned on another forum.. same faults, same car, same year.. turned out to be the thing that detects transponder key signal (comms unit?) that needed to be replaced.. question is do i need to get a new one from citroen or would a salvage one do & would i need to get a citroen dealer to set it up or could that be done for less cost using a Lexia kit.. anyone know?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The com2002 doesent need programmed unless the car has ESP. If it has ESP the steering wheel angle sensor needs to be calibrated.
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Peugeot 407 cars do this all the time, a quick battery disconnect does the trick, also had a few c8 and 807 electric doors n/w, again, a disconnect does the trick.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami