Any cars you regret selling?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

R9UKE
My Cars:

Any cars you regret selling?

Post by R9UKE »

At 20 years old, I probably shouldn't be started a topic with a title like that, but looking through my photos for the past two years and I have some massive regrets. Here's the big ones, will be interesting to see what you guys come up with :-D

First up the Volvo 940 Auto. My first Volvo experience. 8 months MOT and tax, 75k miles, one owner and the permanent smell of tobacco. Best £205 I ever spent. Got proper emotional looking at the pics again :cry:

I used to take it to school and it sat in the pupils car park among a sea of Clios, Corsas and Polos

Next up, the Grand Espace V6. What a wagon this was. It leaked into obscure places that were impossible to diagnose, never achieved more than 12 MPG and had numerous electrical niggles... but I loved it!

Next up, another crakcer of a Volvo. This 440 was mighty impressive in every way. Passed the MOT first time with no work, 57k miles and it smelt like new. What more can £175 get you???

A C5 V6 should have been kept, and this was the best of them all. I know where it lives now and will try to get it back...It was only sold to fund a Laguna V6, which was then sold in aid of the Avantime :lol:

The biggest regret of them all. The monster BMW 540i. This car was terrifying in every single way.

French is best.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: Any cars you regret selling?

Post by Citroenmad »

I like your first Volvo Luke, I bet that quite quite cool going to school in such a barge and everyone else in little matchboxes.

The only one of my own cars I have any regrets about selling is my 2002 Seat Arosa 1.4TDiS. Had that car for about 2 and a half years and loved every minute of it. Went to quite a lot of VAG shows around the country, did lots of miles in it, fitted cruise control (had to be wired into the ECU but I fitted a genuine cruise stalk). Great car and cost peanuts to run but had a very gutsy engine.
I did buy another one at one point, it just wasn't the same though, I think I had just grown out of small cars.

Out of the family Citroens, which I usually have a big part in deciding what it is, buying and selling. I miss the red Activa the most, I didn't fully understand what it was then and its now not around :(

This is the one we really should have held on to, 1994 16v manual XM SX with 30K miles:

I always had a soft spot for this 16v Auto Xm, very faithful car, by far the most comfortable and looked great in white with wobbly webs, I really miss that car.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Just the two...

An MG Metro Turbo I had from brand-new and this one...

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

Very nice Jim - was it the 1.6? Arguably the better engine of the two.

As used in the Visa GTi too... :-D
Franklin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Citroening wrote:Very nice Jim - was it the 1.6? Arguably the better engine of the two.
Indeed it was Franklin :) And I agree, the better of the two...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ashy90

Post by ashy90 »

R9UKE wrote:At 20 years old,

Next up, the Grand Espace V6. What a wagon this was. It leaked into obscure places that were impossible to diagnose, never achieved more than 12 MPG and had numerous electrical niggles... but I loved it!

The biggest regret of them all. The monster BMW 540i. This car was terrifying in every single way.

Your 20 years old, and have owned a people carrier - with a V6 engine, and a 4.0 litre V8 BMW!? :o How, and why!? lol :)
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

what cars do i regret selling...................all of them!

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

None of them - never sold a car yet.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

ashy90 wrote:
R9UKE wrote:At 20 years old,

Your 20 years old, and have owned a people carrier - with a V6 engine, and a 4.0 litre V8 BMW!? :o How, and why!? lol :)

Because its Luke, his taste in cars is interesting ... to be fair, if I had the bottle to buy a 4.0 BMW 5 series, I would! Knowing my luck it would explode in a shower of bits after a few miles :lol:
myglaren wrote:None of them - never sold a car yet.
I didn't realise you had a huge car collection somewhere Steve ... :lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Yep, all one of them :)

By the time I have finished with them they are worth nothing.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

myglaren wrote:Yep, all one of them :)

By the time I have finished with them they are worth nothing.
What happened to the estate? :o
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It is still round the back of the house, was supposed to go this evening but got diverted. Took ages in the shops then on arriving home, Laura of the Clio was here waiting for me to take her to Hetton - at least she was taking the Rover and I was bringing her back,* our mate Richard has is business there now and is selling the Rover for her as a prospective buyer failed to make contact last Friday.

I have negotiated with Richard to fix the problems on the hatch in exchange for the estate - I wouldn't have wanted you lumbered with it, too many things starting to fail on it.

I had bought some of the Aero Flat wipers from eBay and fitted them on Friday.
Rained this morning and the screen was a mess, worse that the old buggered wipers.
Not the wipers per se but some contaminant on the glass that I haven't been able to shift. Was going to try your oven cleaner trick but that went as most things do. Procrasticated!

Have to fit the battery for Richard to take the estate away so it will be tomorrow first now.

*she used the satnav and I followed.
1231 to the A19.
A19 to the Durham turnoff.
A690 to Houghton then a magical mystery tour round the back streets of Hetton.

If she'd said where we were going I could have taken her there in half the time and a third of the distance - it was a couple of hundred yards from where my eldest daughter's wedding reception was.
ashy90

Post by ashy90 »

myglaren wrote:It is still round the back of the house, was supposed to go this evening but got diverted. Took ages in the shops then on arriving home, Laura of the Clio was here waiting for me to take her to Hetton - at least she was taking the Rover and I was bringing her back,* our mate Richard has is business there now and is selling the Rover for her as a prospective buyer failed to make contact last Friday.

I have negotiated with Richard to fix the problems on the hatch in exchange for the estate - I wouldn't have wanted you lumbered with it, too many things starting to fail on it.

I had bought some of the Aero Flat wipers from eBay and fitted them on Friday.
Rained this morning and the screen was a mess, worse that the old buggered wipers.
Not the wipers per se but some contaminant on the glass that I haven't been able to shift. Was going to try your oven cleaner trick but that went as most things do. Procrasticated!

Have to fit the battery for Richard to take the estate away so it will be tomorrow first now.

*she used the satnav and I followed.
1231 to the A19.
A19 to the Durham turnoff.
A690 to Houghton then a magical mystery tour round the back streets of Hetton.

If she'd said where we were going I could have taken her there in half the time and a third of the distance - it was a couple of hundred yards from where my eldest daughter's wedding reception was.
What Rover would you be selling? Also, from your post, I take it you have a Xantia estate.....which has a few issues, and you are looking to swap/sell?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The Rover is an X-reg 75 2L diesel (BMW engine (I know, they all say that :( ) Connoisseur.
May have a photo that I will dig up this evening.

The estate is traded against repairs to the recently acquired hatch.
ashy90

Post by ashy90 »

myglaren wrote:The Rover is an X-reg 75 2L diesel (BMW engine (I know, they all say that :( ) Connoisseur.
May have a photo that I will dig up this evening.

The estate is traded against repairs to the recently acquired hatch.
Ah right, lovely motor the 75 is. I was after a little bubble shaped 200 1.1. or 1.4 for the girlfriend to learn to drive in