Leaky (rainwater) Xantia Estate

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jetfixer
My Cars:

Leaky (rainwater) Xantia Estate

Post by Jetfixer »

Just got a new Xantia estate 96 P reg. Its a clean well looked after car. Whilst going through it looking for little niggles, I found the carpet in the tailgate is soaking wet. Anybody got any ideas where they commonly leak. Then I'll get someone to play a hose on it whilst checking inside.
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

Although my 1998 Estate is dry (touch wood) I understand that the plastic seal on the tailgate can leak. If you remove the internal tailgate lining (about 8 screws)you will discover a plastic moulded sheet attached to the tailgate (that is also plastic) with a white mastic sealant. This sealant has been known to leak and cause the problem you describe. In extreme cases the water can get into the alarm box located under the passenger seat and corrode the connections.
Richard Green
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

have a good search of this site - I think this subject has been gone into thoroughly nefore along with leaks into the rear footwells.
jeremy
stewart_c
My Cars:

Post by stewart_c »

I had the same problem with my 96 Estate & I eventualy put clear silicone sealer around EVERY face on the tailgate even around the light clusters,my reasoning being if there is a seal from the outside then the inside stays dry.
There have been a few leaks but if you put a newspaper the width of the floor then you know when it is letting in, and can look to see where the sealer might be missing. good luck.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I've just had a go at mine, mainly because the boot light stopped working.
You will find it is the polythene sheet on the inside of the boot door. It is designed to catch any water that gets in and channel it through a couple of drains to the bumper. The sheet is sealed with a nasty black mastic but just like the seal around your bath it doesn't last forever. I also found the polythene sheet was warped, presumably the effect of sun on the boot.
I have stuck it on with some good quality builders sealant (not the stuff B&Q sell). and taped it down to keep it in place until the sealant dries.
Had a wet night last night and the car was out because I am working. Boot carpet was dry this morning. Lets see how long it can keep it up.
Thregwort
My Cars:

Post by Thregwort »

Water came in lower right corner on mine...solved with the moving of the centre U shaped hitch (on the non-door-floor) inwards half a centimetre. It just pulls the door in that bit more and seals it off.