C5 Soaking Wet Rear Footwell

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robsterUK

C5 Soaking Wet Rear Footwell

Post by robsterUK »

C5 Exclusive 2002

I am having a serious issue with water soaking my rear nearside footwell. At first I thought it may have been a spilled cup of left over drink from McDonalds (thanks kids) but after taking up the carpet and sound proofing and mopping up the wet with a towel and drying everything off all day I was annoyed to find that today it is wet again after a few days of rain - with the car never having been moved since the last drying session.

I don't mean damp, I mean actual standing water!!. There is no obvious leak and the carpet around the floor of the footwell is bone dry as are the seats, headlining, door card, etc. When I lifted the carpet and soundproofing again it is completely soaked underneath - just like someone had poured a bucket of water in there.

I just can't find where it is coming from.

Any ideas what would cause such a massive flood?

Rob
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Re: C5 Soaking Wet Rear Footwell

Post by SaabC5 »

Is the car being driven or did it leak overnight whilst stationary? Common causes of wet footweels is blocked sunroof drains (normally front only though), rear could be door seals perished allowing water in and also water ingression via the rear aerial. Is the spare wheel well and boot area dry?
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
robsterUK

Post by robsterUK »

Hi and thanks for your reply.

It was stood for two days in rain - never turned a wheel.
Car doesn't have a sunroof
Door seals are dry and look in good condition with no visable water ingress from inside the cabin,the water seems to be coming in under carpet and soaking up from below.
Rear ariel is in roof so not sure how water would get down below carpet as there is no evidence of leaks inside car.
Spare wheel / boot is unaffected and dry as a bone as are all other footwells.

Stumped!!

Rob
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Any evidence of it coming from the door - past the glass seal and into the car?
I'm wondering if the drain in the door is clogged?

Also the drains from the car body may be clogged, there shouldn't be standing water in the car.
I left mine for half an hour and returned to a watefall from the offside sill, a bottle of water had overturned and was leaking from the drains. Carpet was dry by the following day.
robsterUK

Post by robsterUK »

Hi and thanks

I will take the door cards off tomorrow to check the door drains. However I don't know where the drains from the car body are but I need to work on how the water is coming in. It would be easier if there were signs of a leak :(.

Rob
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I'll go for the plastic membrane under the door panel has prevously been butchered when changing a door latch or window regulator & now its not sealing.
robsterUK

Post by robsterUK »

Thanks all

I will have a look at the rear door internals tomorrow.

Appreciate all your assistance.

Rob
Tony Clingan
My Cars:

Post by Tony Clingan »

Did anybody get to the bottom of this leak? Mine appears to leak in the back right corner of the hatch and water gathers under the back right seat on top of the fuel pump cover, no obvious seal problems but staining on the headlining is inside the seal line, anybody seen this before 2002 C5
robsterUK

Post by robsterUK »

I certainly didn't - a big towel in the rear footwell up against the door is the only help I have found.
thefrenchconnection
My Cars:

Post by thefrenchconnection »

i had the same problem turned out to be the rubber weatherstrip on the outside of the door replaced it with a new part problem solved

marc
2001 c5 2.0hdi sx