my xantia needs a vic check

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

jacksun1987

my xantia needs a vic check

Post by jacksun1987 »

Got a letter from vic saying it needs a check. Becase it might have beeen in a accerdent or damged.
I need to do it to get my log book. Phoned up vic dvla and my insurance. And im phoning the gaurge tomoorow to speak to the boss.
I filled the logbook in at the gaurage. And they posted it off. And i got the letter from vic yeasturday.
Its going to cost me 41 pound to get it checked.
heres the advert
The dvla said if it was hpi checked it would have come up on there systerm
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300691840027? ... 1436.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It says in the add all vhecails are hpi checked
But it said to cover them selves spears or reaper
the it says the add all vhecais are hpi checked.

any knolege or ideas would be great

THANKS
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Re: my Xantia needs a vic check

Post by Deanxm »

Yeah i had that with mine but i knew it had been damaged as the seller was upfront about its past, when you bought the car if it was for spares or repair it is just that so you dont really have any comeback there.
I still have not had my VIC check done 2 years on, probably wont bother till i sell it on.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

No comeback here Paul.

I need to get a VIC done on one of mine before I can get the log book.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

Well it did say all cars are hpi checked. They put spears or reaper becase its a old car.
And dvla said if it was hpi checked. It would have come up on the systerm
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

i wouldnt worry about it, just keep hold of the tear off slip from the v5 for taxing it, are you going to run it into the ground/

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

Yeah Paul, are you likely to be selling it to someone who isn't a scrap metals merchant?
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

yep i think i will be keeping it cant sell it lol.
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

i thought the green xlip only has a certen amout of time before you have to get the v5 document. Or can i just use it every time i tax it?
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

still taxing mine 2 years on online with no worries, you only want the document reference number off of it.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Deanxm wrote:Yeah i had that with mine but i knew it had been damaged as the seller was upfront about its past, when you bought the car if it was for spares or repair it is just that so you dont really have any comeback there.
I still have not had my VIC check done 2 years on, probably wont bother till i sell it on.D
if you have a V5 in your possession and registerd to you since buying the car it does not require a VIC test,

when they are CAT C or above the V5 has to be handed in to DVLA/insurance company, then you have to get the car MOT'ed then VIC checked,
before you get a new V5,
as the car must not be used on the road till the above has been completed,

now if your car was just CAT D the previous owner would keep the V5 as the car was not considered to be structurally damaged, or beyond economical repair,

you can before purchasing any car go on DVLA's web site enter the reg and it should tell you the state of play,

also i dont think a big garage would bother checking the history of a couple of hundred pound car

regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ps.
sounds to me as the previous owner did not send the V5 in when requested to, as DVLA are telling you it requires a VIC test they wont issue a TAX disc till you comply with there request,

apart from the dosh a VIC test is no big deal, as all it does is check's the car is the same car as before the damage,

regards malcolm
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

citronut wrote:
Deanxm wrote:Yeah i had that with mine but i knew it had been damaged as the seller was upfront about its past, when you bought the car if it was for spares or repair it is just that so you dont really have any comeback there.
I still have not had my VIC check done 2 years on, probably wont bother till i sell it on.D
if you have a V5 in your possession and registerd to you since buying the car it does not require a VIC test,

when they are CAT C or above the V5 has to be handed in to DVLA/insurance company, then you have to get the car MOT'ed then VIC checked,
before you get a new V5,
as the car must not be used on the road till the above has been completed,

now if your car was just CAT D the previous owner would keep the V5 as the car was not considered to be structurally damaged, or beyond economical repair,

you can before purchasing any car go on DVLA's web site enter the reg and it should tell you the state of play,

also i dont think a big garage would bother checking the history of a couple of hundred pound car

regards malcolm
No i do not hold the V5, it has been registered in my name as i am the owner but they will not issue a V5 until i have completed a VIC, still let me tax it though, 3rd time now. Vince had his car hit and they required a Vic before tax was issued as i believe he owned the car at the time of accident but from what i have heard a new owner although they will not recieve a V5 can still tax the car online and there is nothing to say you cannot drive a car with a vic marker set against it. Certainly thats not what the dvla have told me and it said nothing about it in the pack they sent me when i bought the car.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

I went in the garuge he had some old mots service history and the logbook . I Filled in the log book. THey sent it off . INstead of the log book in my name. A vic document came instead. It had my name address car make and reg number.

So i bet on the computer it has my name. But cant get the logbook in my name unless i do the vic
Last edited by jacksun1987 on 10 May 2012, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi All

I think Dean may be right about his own situation but it does not apply to Jacksuns situation.
When a car is declared VIC you must still hold the V5 for the car in your name.
You can then legally drive the car as long as it is licensed, has a valid MOT, is roadworthy and you have appropriate insurance cover.
However if a VIC marker is set, DVLA will not issue you with a V11 or a new V5C if you should need a replacement.
It seems that the recording and removal of VIC markers is controlled by VOSA and not DVLA.
So any change of owner or even address requires the VIC test successfully done to get a new V5.
The V5 slip expires after 2 months and you must then be dealing with the DVLA to obtain a new V5.
Continuing to use the car with no V5 and an outstanding VIC check runs a real risk if you have a major accident no matter who is at fault.
It could be just what an insurance company is looking for to avoid the claim by declaring your insurance invalid for non disclosure.

John
Xmexclusive
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

N288 XCF
If somone wants to do there magic

Thanks