Xantia S1 boot light switch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gadgetgricey

Xantia S1 boot light switch

Post by gadgetgricey »

In a word where is it???

The car has just started turning on the interior lights when braking on occasion. Believe the switch in the boot is activated by a ball bearing so wondered if that might be the culprit.

Thanks again

- Dave -
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia S1 boot light switch

Post by CitroJim »

It's behind the trim panel Dave, in the general area of the wiper motor assembly. It's a little white plastic tube with a rounded end and a terminal on the other.

They usually fail the other way. Often they get a bit damp and the balls (there's two, a little one and a big one) get a little corrosion on them.

With care the switch can be disassembled and overhauled but sadly with varying degrees of success.

Millions of PSA vehicles used them and I can't imagine a new one would be expensive...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

I cleaned my balls up :lol:

The boot light does come on under hard braking I find, just the physics of how the switch is designed unfortunately.
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Dommo wrote:I cleaned my balls up :lol:

The boot light does come on under hard braking I find, just the physics of how the switch is designed unfortunately.
Dont know about the boot light, but this is the two interior lights on the "B" pillars.

Getting very annoying :-D

- Dave -
Bannedbiker
My Cars: 2003 Peugeot 307 1.6S
1997 Eunos Roadster

Post by Bannedbiker »

I swapped the standard boot light switch for a mercury tilt switch (no moving mechanical parts unlike the standard PSA item).
Just had a look on Ebay and the same seller is still listing them, you get 3 for about £8 (item no 250721746794).
I still have a couple so if you wanted one of them I could post it to you for £3?
To be honest though would a faulty boot light switch operate the interior lights? On a series 2 I think they share a common live feed but the switch would be on the earth side of the switch wouldn't it?

Martin
2003 Peugeot 307, 1.6 petrol.
Previously owned 1999 Citroen Xantia 1.9 td and a 1997 Citroen ZX 1.9
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Bannedbiker wrote:To be honest though would a faulty boot light switch operate the interior lights? On a series 2 I think they share a common live feed but the switch would be on the earth side of the switch wouldn't it?

Martin
Not had time to check the switch yet, but that was my thoughts.
But then it was the best I could come up with as could not see how the "door" connections would be triggered by braking. :?: :?:

Cheers

- Dave -
Bannedbiker
My Cars: 2003 Peugeot 307 1.6S
1997 Eunos Roadster

Post by Bannedbiker »

Just had a look in BOL wiring diagram and it looks like you can isolate the boot light switch from the rest of the car by removing the bulb from the boot light. If this stops the interior lights flickering you have found your problem. Hope this helps and makes sense (little else I say makes sense!!!!)

Martin
2003 Peugeot 307, 1.6 petrol.
Previously owned 1999 Citroen Xantia 1.9 td and a 1997 Citroen ZX 1.9