When it comes to major repairs; this is major.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

When it comes to major repairs; this is major.

Post by alan s »

Well, after most of the year sitting out the front of my garage, my #1 son has eventually got his series one BX 16V rebuilt....brother, what a job!![:0]
He ran it in a sprint series last year which wasn't all that smart an idea as it had around 120,000 miles on the speedo & (as we were to discover) in it's younger life had apparently done a head gasket & subsequently got water down the pot & was bodged a bit, prior to being bought by the guy who owned it before us and brought from the UK to Oz. Within about 12 months the car had an underbonnet fire and was written off & subsequently bought by us at the Insurance auction.
It didn't take all that long to get it mobile but the heavy driving took its toll & hence caused it to die completely.
For the record, we fitted new sleeves, pistons, rings, gudgeons, big end & main bearings as well as a full set of gaskets and seals, had a set of oversized intake valves made and the head flow tested by a guy who has a business that solely redesigns cylinder heads for racing cars, dragsters & touring & rally cars. All the cooling & lubrication systems & circuits were cleaned & tested and repaired where necessary.
The present assignment is to have the engine run in by Sunday and the running in oil replaced by the oil for the sprints it's entered in, so here's hoping we can put up a good show for the marque; after all, I understand it's the only series one BX 16V in Australia & to my knowledge the only one currently involved in any form of competition. I'm not overly confident that he will take anything out mainly due to the fact that I personally don't like the feel of the car & am of the opinion that different tyres would have made a big difference, based on the feel of my series two...but we'll see. I could be wrong.
Alan S [:D]
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

Sounds exciting Alan and I can't wait to hear of the eventual outcome once run in but I have difficulty seeing a BX sprint given its slightly awkward gait. It's a cracking project for #1 son however, and I look forward to reading the next episode of this fascinating story. Ian