Xantia 2.0SX Airbag Warning Light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pmclough
New User

Xantia 2.0SX Airbag Warning Light

Post by pmclough »

Hi everyone I wonder if anyone can help me:

The airbag warning light in my 1997 Xanthia 2.0 SX has come on for about the sixth or seventh time in its 15 year life. Previously this has been fixed by installing a new Rotary Airbag Switch (Part No 4112X7). This one was installed in March 2011 so it has lasted just over a year! These parts are now very hard to find and I proposed getting a secondhand one. My garage were a bit wary of this as there is no guarantee such a part will work, So they ran a diagnostic test and got the message "161 DRIVER AIRBAG SQUIB". They think this might mean the airbag needs replacing although posts on this forum suggest it is the rotary switch which is the problem. Does anyone have a reference for this message "161 DRIVER AIRBAG SQUIB" so we can move on?

The VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Thanks for any assistance!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia 2.0SX Airbag Warning Light

Post by CitroJim »

Never heard of that one... What diagnostic machine did the garage use? It does not sound like a Lexia message and I'd not trust anything other than a Lexia or ELIT to tell the truth...

Quite often the problem is with the seatbelt pre-tensioner wiring plugs/sockets under the seats becoming loose/disconnected. Checks those first before suspecting the rotary again.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...