Xantia ABS light???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

numnuts

Xantia ABS light???

Post by numnuts »

Hi guys. After finally managing to change my front discs and pads recently (W reg Xantia 2Litre HDI) The ABS light has been on.I believe it could be an issue with the sensors but not sure where they are. I couldnt find them to disconnect when changing the pads and discs so just carried on without any problems. The abs had been on intermittently before the brake change. Look forward to any advice. Thanks
VertVega
My Cars:

Re: Xantia ABS light???

Post by VertVega »

I would recommend you to read this thread in Handy Hints & Tips ---> Xantia Rear ABS Sensor Renewal
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

But front sensors are SOOOO SIMPLE to remove.

They are located on the back of the Hub, just above where the track rod end from the steering rack attaches to the hub. Have a look behind the disk . Plastic thing with a cable comming from it. The plug hides on the chassis, behind the strut.

Front sensors are attached with a 10mm bolt, but the orface they sit in is more os a C house, so the sensors come out easyilly.

You shouldn't need to remove a sensor to change disks really. they dont get that much in the way.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Had similar problems with both of our Xants. Fault codes said O/S/F sensor faulty several times on deceased blue estate, I didn't believe it as sensor had been changed (a bodge) for MoT by selling garage. On the green estate, had intermittent ABS light for some months - would behave perfectly for weeks then have a couple of days coming on at random. Fault finally went hard, by which time I'd sorted the blue estate so knew where to look - software often tells lies, particularly when the designer has no practical experience or the programmer is too lazy to code for all possible eventualities (or both).

The diagnostic text for sensor fault codes should always include the word CIRCUIT. Replacing sensors is much more expensive than cleaning grotty contacts.

The villain in both cases was the connector plug/socket at the ABS ECU - the cable goes through a sharp right angle beside the plug putting pressure on the joint. Because it's close to the bonnet close, it gets salt spray in winter. Solution is to unplug, clean up both plug and socket contacts (search the forum and you'll find a thread with the contact layout), spray with WD40 and reseat plug very carefully making sure that the water seal is seated properly. Warming the stiff old cables with a hot air gun (careful!) or hair dryer will help them mould to the required bend.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)