Xantia breather pipes location

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Xantia breather pipes location

Post by PicassoPigeon »

I have a xantia 1997 1.9TD with oil leak only when engine is running. I have been told that it must be being forced out under pressure the leak seems to be coming from the front somewhere near the bottom. I have read about breather pipes and the fact they can become bloked, but where are they, how do you get them off and how do you clean them. I cant find anything in the haynes manual.
Thanks for your help.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I had a leak down the front of my BX and on investigation it seems thatthe push on breather hoses rount the oil filler device had simply expanded with age and were letting oil out. Clips all round solved the problem. Looking at my wife's 94 ZX I see the arrangement is similar but that the breather pipes were clipped from new with the ususal once only clips. How good a job these are still doing I don't know but as there is oil round there I think the pipes may have worked loose and all the clips need replacing.
Incidentally I think wind force may carry this oil round the sides to the back of the engine.
jeremy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You need to identify exactly where it's coming from - this may be obvious, or you may need to clean all the old oil off (using Gunk or Jizer or similar) then watch to see where it comes out. Not clear from your post if you have a problem with oil being blown out of the breather system, or leaking from the engine. XUDs are not known for blocking their breathers particularly, but if you think this is the problem, you have to take all the hoses connected to oil filler off and clean out. If it's and engine problem there are many possbilities - pressure switch, oil filter / cooler, sump gasket, crank / cam seal rocker cover, head gasket etc etc.... Hence the need for some investigation to find the cause. Leaks around the cambelt area need tracing and fixing before the cambelt gets oil on it and then disintegrates....
Richard
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Is the breather hose ( the one that goes down the back of the engine and under the left side ) supposed to blow ? Mine does ( and allways has done ), and I've thought nothing of it...
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

on my mk1 xantia petrol. where the oil filler cap is i've got two oil breather hoses on the front at the bottom, just above where the sump is.
had to change my rocker gasket, while i was at it, checked the oil breather hoses, they where so blocked that even water would'nt flow through. so had to replace the hoses, as they were perised as well. car now not only sounds better, but i'm not losing any oil.
dom
franciscolunn
My Cars:

Post by franciscolunn »

I got new breather filter for my BX(where you pour oil in)from citroen garage noticed MAYO all over and now it seems its a new car,been told the restriction has cleared cos of new part and now breaths freely just like a packet of tunes,cost £12 and as far as i can tell well worth it,can't seem to find one on my xantia 1.8 16 valver as it all looks so modern so not really poking around if you know what i mean.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

There are three hoses, one from the rocker cover to the plastic oil filler tube, one from the block (under the thermostat housing) to the oil filler tube, and the main one from the oil filler tube to the consetina type air intake ducting, this will be the only one giving the trouble if any.
Crankcase emissions have for a long time been re-routed back to the intake, they are no longer discharged to the atmosphere as in years gone by.
Keep an open mind on oil leaks, it travels.
Dave
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Well, here goes..
My 94 Xantia 1.9 TD ( no EGR etc ) has the hoes you mention, but not the one going to the air intake. The breather ( IIRC ) rises from the filler area, to a disc shaped thingy, and then there's a pipe about 1.5 - 2m long which goes down the back of the engine, and simply exhausts to the left of the car, somewhere just behind the LHS wheel arch.
The air inlet piping has a 'hole' for a pipe just behind the consetina, but this is plugged with a cork !
Any ideas ?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Glad about the cork! - Shows that who ever did this had some priorities even if we don't all share them!
jeremy
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

I have cleaned all the oil from under the engine bay and used talc powder to see if i could see where its coming out.
At the front bottom of the sump, where the hydraulic pump is fitted i can now see a fine crack with oil seeping out. The crack is right under where the bolt goes that holds the pump on. Does this mean i need a new sump. Where can i get one? any ideas about cost of it and fitting?
Thanks for your help.