C5 heater throughput

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

C5 heater throughput

Post by Peter.N. »

The heater on my C5 seems to have very little volume of air coming from the outputs, even with the fan on full there is not much of a draught, I have checked the pollen filter - but it doesn't seem to have one, any suggestions or are they all like this. Takes me back to the CX heater!

Peter
reblack68
My Cars:

Re: C5 heater throughput

Post by reblack68 »

It should have a pollen filter, accessible from the passenger footwell IIRC. The throughput is pretty hopeless even with a new filter though. You can't seem to get subtle ventilation trickling through, if you want any kind of throughput the fan has to be roaring.

The above applies to the LX, which has conventional heater controls, but I imagine the SX is much the same as far as airflow goes.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Jabo
My Cars:

Post by Jabo »

reblack68 wrote:You can't seem to get subtle ventilation trickling through, if you want any kind of throughput the fan has to be roaring.
The heaters on my SX are excellent IMO. Individual passenger and driver side temperatures. The 1st setting is enough to give a gentle heat/cooling and it gradually gets stronger as you increase the fans.
2001 Citroen C5 SX 2.0 petrol - Misty Lilac

0-60 MPH Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... zero60full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weight Transfer Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ansfercalc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The reason I particularly wanted an SX was because of the dual zone heating, I am always cold and my wife is not, the one and only SX XM I owned had it, strange that it wasn't used on the VSX or exclusive.

The heat output is reasonable on the C5 but even on full fan there is nothing like as much air flow as in the XM so it takes some time to get warm, its not as good as the 406 either although that has auxilluary heating which is brilliant.

I looked for the pollen filter under the passenger side dash but there is nothing there that resembles the picture in the Haynes manual, there is a plastic box but it is secured to the body by three 10mm bolts and doesn't appear to be connected to the air supply and I couldn't even get the cover off with the bolts removed, am I missing something?

Peter
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

The pollen filter isnt under the passenger side dash its in the passenger footwell on the right hand side underneath where the climate control mechanicals are. There's a small flap with 2/3 bolts holding it on, undo the bolts and the filter pulls out sideways, i would hazard a guess its pretty much blocked because the heating/air flow on my SX in just fine. Make a note of the way the arrow points on the old filter when you remove it, just to ensure you put the new one in the correct way round.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Ah! Thanks for that I am obviously being stupid - again. I will go and have another look, the manual doesn't make it very clear. It certainly feels as though that could be the problem.

Peter
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

The fan output should be very good, they are not underpowered usually. I often only have the fan on one or two on the digi climate control and its enough.

Might well be a choked pollen filter, its the easiest place to start looking.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Will do, I haven't had time today because the sun has been shining
Jabo
My Cars:

Post by Jabo »

If you have the output going to your feet, face and windscreen at the same time it is quite rubbish compared to just blowing on your face :-P
2001 Citroen C5 SX 2.0 petrol - Misty Lilac

0-60 MPH Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... zero60full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weight Transfer Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ansfercalc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;