xantia wishbone bushes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

allanmc
My Cars:

xantia wishbone bushes

Post by allanmc »

hello, xantia series 2 hdi 110 removed the drivers side wishbone yesterday to replace the bushes both front and back, also renewed the inner ball joint and trackrod ends, bigger job than I thought been at it all day although time means nothing to me as I am well retired, I have a wee question as I did the job with the suspension on high I cant get the bottom ball joint to go in will it be ok to start engine and put suspension to low, I intend starting the other side on mon. so should be a bit easier I hope.thanks.
allan
Xantia 2.0i SX Auto, 1999
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: Xantia wishbone bushes

Post by red_dwarfers »

Have you jacked up both sides or just drivers? If its just the drivers it sounds like a sensible idea to me as the anti roll bar will compress the strut.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

:? That's odd. Never known it to be a problem on a Xantia. It can be a 'mare on conventionally sprung cars but yes, thinking on, I've always done the job with the suspension in low so the strut is all floppy. If you left the suspension high than yes, the anti-sink valve will have popped into action and left the struts full rigid and extended...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

Thanks for getting back to me I will have to wait until tomorrow when my son will be here I would rather have someone outside the car to make sure everything is OK when I start it up.I now know to have the suspension on low when I start the other side thanks again.
allan
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

After replacing the wishbone bushes, inner ball joints, and track rod ends I now have to get the tracking done can most garages do this thanks
Allanmc
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Most garages can. I usually go to a local tyre and exhaust place, they certainly should have the right gear!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

This is a wee update on the jobs my sons and I did on the Xantia, the Wishbone bushes and inner ball joints and trackrod ends, it took us longer than I had thought it would,especialy after reading on the forum about the guy who did his wishbone bushes in 2 hours, if I can add something about the fitting of the P Bushes there was a guy on youtube showing how to do it by laying the wishbone on a flat surface and the part of the P bush with one hole flat on the surface so thats how I did it so I just hope it is OK time will tell, I had the tracking done at a place with the Laser system so I hope I can have a rest from the garage for a wee while
allanmc
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

This is a wee update on the jobs my sons and I did on the Xantia, the Wishbone bushes and inner ball joints and trackrod ends, it took us longer than I had thought it would,especialy after reading on the forum about the guy who did his wishbone bushes in 2 hours,
Sorry Allan, I didn''t mean to be misleading about the time it would take.. I had done mine only 4 months previously so knew exactly what to do and what sizes of spanners etc. in Jan it took more like 6 hrs for just one bush.
Having Roberts old set of wishbones was a godsend as I was able to set up the p bush fairly accurately first before removing my wishbone from the car.. and of course then it was just a straight swap. And that was only for one side! ! just hope it lasts more that 4 months this time :-D
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream