Can I stop a stop-start stopping ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

Can I stop a stop-start stopping ?

Post by charentejohn »

In our search for a C3 sensodrive I have found a 1.4i stop start locally, off to see it tomorrow or day after rain permitting.

Only thing I can do without is the stop-start option. I figured in a normal 20 mile journey I do it would stop 6 times, all just at road junctions for a few seconds.

I believe the engine stops immediately but I would rather it didn't. I have a Lexia coming soon so could this change the stop start to 'off'' ? If it does have to do this I would have preferred a wait of 10-20 seconds to make sure you were really in a queue of traffic and not just at a road junction for 2 seconds, but I think it is quicker than that ?

Failing that it is back to HDIs (my preference) but my wife likes petrol ones as less noisy. We will give it a drive but my worry would always be one day it would stop at a road junction and not start again.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: Can I stop a stop-start stopping ?

Post by Lighty »

I would have thought it would be possible to stop it via some method available to the owner.
If not Iam sure it could be done on the Lexia
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Just googled it, and Autocar road test says there ia switch to turn it off. :-D
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Ah Google........ Thanks for the info, I should have thought of that first. There isn't much an internet search can't shed light on.

Makes sense that it can just be switched off, if nothing else just to get around poor starting problems.
I have seen a few advertised before but ignored them because I didn't like the idea, especially here in the backwoods where we live now.
I did look up car specs and reviews but none mentioned how it worked, only that it existed. Seems I may have to give in and buy a petrol one as I can't use the stop start as an excuse. I always felt diesels and autos went together well, I will be interested to see how the petrol does with a sensodrive. The diesels were perfect, or so I felt, with the sensodrive.
More tomorrow.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Pressing the eco button stops it stopping but so do high electrical consumers like the heated rear screen.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

That sounds like the Citroen reverse psycology switching. Like the sensodrive button marked Auto that switches to manual.

So Eco turns off the economical stop-start mode Maybe I can get some 'not' stickers so they can say Auto-(not)....... :-D
ashy90

Post by ashy90 »

charentejohn wrote:That sounds like the Citroën reverse psycology switching. Like the sensodrive button marked Auto that switches to manual.

So Eco turns off the economical stop-start mode Maybe I can get some 'not' stickers so they can say Auto-(not)....... :-D
Sounds about right!

On the subject of the engine cutting out when ever you stop on these modern cars, I completely dis-like it. One thing - it is surely no good for the engine at all? Stop start stop start - exactly what engines hate.
If it is an economy thing, then I actually find its best to keep the engine running, then to turn it off, and a minute later start it up again.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

I found this writeup which isn't bad http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... mid=0&i=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not for a Citroen but states the principles in general. A few general posts in between but the longer one at the front is informative also one later on.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

On these engines starting the engine (when its warm) uses the same amount of fuel as 3 seconds worth of idling so the theory is if you are stopped at lights etc for more than 3 seconds it has saved you fuel.
Just leave the system on, it requires no extra effort from the driver, just takes a bit of getting used to & it will save you money.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

How do these work then ? , I've not seen one myself. :)

I do recall VW tried something like this a few years back, and I remember thinking about the accelerated wear on the starter and ring gear from repeated restarts...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Breifly, if certain criteria are met eg engine warm, battery charge good & no high electrical loads the engine will cut out when the brake is applied & the car is stationary to save you fuel. The engine restarts as soon as you release the brakes. There is no wear on the starter motor as it doesent have one, it uses a reversible alternator to start the engine via the drive belt so no wear on ring gear either.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

wheeler wrote:There is no wear on the starter motor as it doesent have one, it uses a reversible alternator to start the engine via the drive belt so no wear on ring gear either.
:o :o :o , further research needed then on that. Thanks for information. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

A lot of these stop/start systems rely on a combined starter motor/alternator unit. Beware if either of the two functions stop working you are looking at a min £600 to replace the unit. Hows that for progress, save money on fuel then spend it on the new part when it goes wrong. :shock:
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
smokescreen
My Cars: C3 1.6 HDi VTR

Post by smokescreen »

Just my two pennies worth. When I bought my first sensodrive in 2005, the demonstrator car was a petrol which I found was always changing gear too often owing to lack of torque. I trusted my gut feeling and ordered the 1.4HDi diesel sensodrive and it lived up to my expectations ie holding on to gears longer and fantastic mpg!

Sensodrive is very much like marmite, love it or hate it. In auto, light accelerator pedal brought smooth gear changes but for a bit of go just using the paddles did the trick.

Enjoy it, whatever model you buy.

Mark
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

I have to admit I like sensodrive (so far) but will do a state of play posting when we have had it a bit, we just bought the car mentione above. Sensodrive is a love hate alright but many cars are fitted with these clutchless manuals now so better get used to them.

Parts aren't too bad in France (starter/alternator is 200 Euros from Oscaro.fr, starter or alternator are generally 110 Euros each. I always check prices for the dodgy bits before buying a car. That said this one seems ok so here's hoping............