Newish xantia owner Needs help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantia Dave
My Cars:

Newish xantia owner Needs help

Post by Xantia Dave »

Hello all , Having owned my xantia for only a few months i decided to do a few jobs that needed and still need doing !

I have searched for a few hours yesterday and last night to no avail :(

First off its a great forum ,i changed the can belt and water pump ,the tensioners and all the aux stuff inc the bottom pully successfully with help from posts on here .

Next full oil and filter service.

Next job i did was the bottom ball joints and stabiliser bars and bushes .

Next was the clutch cable and awful clip on the pedal ! didnt enjoy that too much :)

Now guys im hoping you can help me ,ive searched the Heater relay mod etc and it doesnt apply to my car at all :(

My car is a 2000 (w) plate 20 HDI forte with only prev owner now has 96k FSH

Now the blower is dead

Here is what ive done

Changed the blower motor (no change)

changed the blower control pannel (no change)

Swapped the relay (no change)

swapped the 40a fuse (no change)

checked the fuse under the bonnet (no change)

I have power at all the large plugs under the steering column

i have power at the fuse box blower fuse 12v min

the aircon button does NOT illuminate

The wires (brown plug) is dead at the blower

I have removed the glovebox ,the sterring column cowels the lower dash panels and the radio ,ashtray and heater controls trying to trace the wires and im running out of options !

Can anyone give me any more pointers please ? im ok diy mech ,but my electrical knowledge is very limited ,i do have a semi decent fluke MM tho

Please help guys n gals i wanna get rolling again :) [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Newish Xantia owner Needs help

Post by CitroJim »

Dave,

Welcome :-D

I can help with these full wiring diagrams of the climate control (which includes the blower)...

This is the schematic circuit diagram

And this is a very useful harness diagram which actually shows how everything is physically interconnected.

And finally, a physical location diagram...

The component reference numbers can be cross-referenced to the table in the back of the Haynes manual.

The fact that the aircon button light does not illuminate is significant. My suspicion is that the feed to the blower relay (8048) is missing.

Hope that helps...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dave, one other thing to note is the blower only runs when the engine is running.

Therefore all testing must be carried out with the engine running.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

David Hallworth spent a long time tracking a similar problem: Blower nightmare

The one on mine stopped working, and I found only 3V or something on the switching supply at the relay - ran in a new supply from the ignition switch and all was well again.
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:David Hallworth spent a long time tracking a similar problem: Blower nightmare
You have a good memory Richard :-D I think that thread will be extremely helpful to Dave...
Jim

Xantia Dave
My Cars:

Post by Xantia Dave »

Thankyou for the rapid replys im going to have a little read of the info youve supplied and get knee deep in wires :) ill report back soon !
Xantia Dave
My Cars:

Post by Xantia Dave »

Ok a quick update ,ive swapped the relays around under the bonnet with ones of the same type under the footwell ,and theres no difference .

i have 12v at the connectors under the column (brown black and grey big connectors) all but one orange which i believe to be the starter solenoid feed ?

I see the wire from the blower heads up under the passenger airbag and from there i cannot see it .

I have 12v at the fuse box for the blower 40A fuse so have power there ,the aircon light on the switch is still dead aswell so running out of options ,im struggling to read the wiring diagrams (dont own a haynes yet)

the car is stripped right down regards dash board area ,ive removed the fuse box best i can wires dont have much give to the rear ,this caused the seat airbag lamp to illuminate on the dash along with the speedo jamming at 150mph and rev counter now sits at 5k revs ! so i fear im am causing more problems for myself :(

feel like chucking the towel in
Xantia Dave
My Cars:

Post by Xantia Dave »

Im going to now check the pink wire on the rear of the aircon switch to fuse box i have a hunch its to blame from reading on in a post i thought id read already ohhhh the joy ,now its raining lol
Xantia Dave
My Cars:

Post by Xantia Dave »

Ok progress!!! positive progress

having read the last link regarding the fix !I CANNOT LOCATE THE BROWN WIRE

So temp measure i ran a 12v feed to the pink aircon switch and it lit up ! the blower motor is removed so i held it in my hand and applied the feed to pink wire again and the motor tries to turn ever so slightly and i hear a relay click

Am i nearly there ? help would be much much much much appreciated if anyone can !! im hoping to re assemble before dark !

feeling a little more up beat about it now !

QUOTE FROM THRED :- The dim light on the A/C switch that everyone thought was neither here nor there turned out to be the cause of the problems.

There was a high resistance break between fuse 21 and the air conditioning switch.

We found it tonight as when the air con switch was on the fan wouldn't even come on. I scotch locked a wire directly from the brown cable coming out of the fusebox and put it on the back of the switch and everything burst into life working just as it should.

The wire on the back of the fuse box is brown and the one on the air conditioning switch is pink so there is obviously a join in there somewhere. Does anyone know where this join is as I'll bet that's where the problem is.
Xantia Dave
My Cars:

Post by Xantia Dave »

Hmmm the wire feed to the pink made the aircon switch light work and the heater worked for about 15 seconds on low speed the slider changed nothing then it all stopped again ,so confused again :oops:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i might be barking up the wrong tree, but does the heated rear screen switch light when you switch it on,

because i think when the heater fan and the rear screen heater both don't its usually the ignition switch contacts burned,

regards malcolm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Dave

There should be a 30A relay above the throttle pedal - it's the one right at the front. Pop it out and check that you've got 12V on the main feed - if you have, make a short jumper wire and short the relay out, to see if this makes the fun run (when the engien's on of course...!). If it does then chances are you have lost the feed to the swtiching side. Check if you've got 12v on the switching side when the ign is on.
Richard W
Xantia Dave
My Cars:

Post by Xantia Dave »

Ok ill try it now b4 its dark cheers :)

Too dark n cold ,cancelled the weekend plans to sort it as need more time really to try to understand the wiring (never been anygood in this area ) the relay is the one with the black clips holding it in? it marked 35a and has 5 connectors? if this is the one you mentioned i have 14 v at pin 3 others are dead (engine running)

Im wondering about the fuse box itself ,it seems to have a pcb inside it and when i move the unit as a whole the airbag warning lamp flickers ,the speedometer shoots to 150mph and the glow plug lamp no longer appears #-o

Could this have a fault ? causing all of my woes ?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hope you dont inadvertently trigger the air bag off,

regards malcolm
Xantia Dave
My Cars:

Post by Xantia Dave »

No ill try not to!