Lethal BX court story

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ralph
My Cars:

Lethal BX court story

Post by ralph »

A sobering story filed from court today - of interest solely because of the car being driven:
A drink-driver who killed his fiancee and their first child in a high-speed crash after bragging he would top 140mph in a £30 car with no brakes was jailed today for six years.
Steven Green, 25, who was banned at the time of accident, had bought the Citroen BX as scrap but drove it along the M1 from Leicester before striking a barrier on the A52 in Nottingham.
Nottingham Crown Court heard the H-reg vehicle, which had no working foot brake or suspension, careered across the carriageway, struck two signs and overturned as he approached a roundabout.
James Hett, prosecuting, said the car had been seen swerving violently across the carriageway as Green attempted to slow down.
Green, who had drunk six pints of Stella Artois and was twice over the legal drink-drive limit, was thrown from the car, but his seven-months pregnant fiancee Andrea Thomson, 20, got trapped inside.
Mr Hett said Ms Thomson, of Arnold, Nottingham, suffered multiple injuries and died hours later in hospital. Her baby girl, named Stella, was delivered by emergency Caesarean section by paramedics but survived for only seven hours.
Green, of Crossledge Close, Beaumont Leys, Leicester, admitted causing their deaths by careless driving, driving while disqualified and driving with excess alcohol.
The court heard he had previously been jailed three times and convicted on three occasions for drink-driving.
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

Let this be a lesson to us all but so far I've seen no evidence that suggests any member of this great forum would behave so atrociously in their Citroen. It's just sad that at least one innocent little human has been killed so needlessly. [:(]
Sorry about the duplication above
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

With both the suspension and footbrake inoperative? That BX must have been just about undriveable, running on the bump stops.
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

It's probably fairly safe to assume that the report is not entirely accurate with regard to 'no' suspension and brakes-probably had SOME I mean who wouldn't struggle to control a car after six pints of strong lager.
What gets me is the sentence-six years when you take into account two lives lost, the crimes committed plus the aggravating circumstances of the guy's previous. I know the max sentence is only 10 years anyway that guy wants locking up for life
Linegeist
My Cars:

Post by Linegeist »

Strewth! Don't start me off..................
What is it with these lowlives who think the laws of Physics/The land/decency don't apply?
Fuming [:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

This person was just stupid. Criminally stupid, maybe but stupid, nonetheless. Save the Hang 'em flog 'em for the crooks in Bentleys who ripped off your pensions.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

It's just a thought, but I had what could best be described as a "heated discussion" on another forum a year or so ago with a guy who suggested that a BX could be safely driven at speed with the suspenion totally in the lowest setting & gave 1000 what seemed to be academically sound reasons why it could work & from memory, I think the 140 figure was mentioned in that little exchange also.
My argument was that to even suggest this to someone young or stupid or at worst both, was inviting exactly what happened to this toerag. All I can say is that I really do hope that the suggestion by this guy wasn't taken up & remembered by this bods pickled brain & seemed like a better idea the more booze he poured down his throat.
The guy who made the suggestion I still to this day believe he thinks is possible, and as time's gone on I've found him to be very knowledgeable on Cits but I didn't agree with him then & I don't agree now that it is possible & my guess is that this could have been exactly what this clown was trying on either due to the grog or by believing the "Urban myths" of being able to adjust the ride height to "whatever you want" to suit your speed & driving conditions whilst on the move.
What a bloody tragedy & all we can hope now is that the ignorants who seem to know all about Cits but who have never driven one, don't use this to make life more difficult for those who try to do the right thing.
Perhaps it might be anidea to link THIS story to THIS story[}:)][}:)]
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... PIC_ID=961
Alan S
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Guru Meditation</i>

It's probably fairly safe to assume that the report is not entirely accurate with regard to 'no' suspension and brakes-probably had SOME I mean who wouldn't struggle to control a car after six pints of strong lager.
What gets me is the sentence-six years when you take into account two lives lost, the crimes committed plus the aggravating circumstances of the guy's previous. I know the max sentence is only 10 years anyway that guy wants locking up for life
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<font size="2">I think we should also take into account that another adult got into that car knowingly leaving me to conclude that a child was killed through the actions of an idiot and an accessory who was also killed</font id="size2">
Guru Meditation

What you're saying is true kafkaian-no one forced the woman to get into the car presumably she knew the guy was lashed. She made a mistake that cost her her life. All I'm saying is that regardless of the stupidity of the person who got into the car with a drink driver the guy that survived seems to have got a light sentence. You only serve something like 2/3 of your sentence before you're generally out if you behave yourself minus any time on remand etc he'll probably be out in 3 years drink driving again.
Cest la vie!
Guru Meditation.
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<font size="2">Hi GM,
No I wasn't disagreeing with you and fully concur, just thought I'd add that little aside to your bit.
It was all very tragic though wasn't it? And so needless to boot [:(]
Best wishes, Ian[:)]
</font id="size2">
Guru Meditation

Hey no worries-even if you were to disagree with me I wouldn't take offence :-) I agree a very sad story.
All the best
Guru Meditation
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

One of the problems our society has is that people like this guy cant be controlled by our laws because they completely ignore them, our system has never been able to cope with people who just ignore the rules. They keep coming up with more rules but if you are disqualified from driving what other deterrent is there if you decide to ignore the ban? the driving with no suspension could mean all the spheres were flat, try driving with the suspension set on high, its terrifying at more than 10mph. If the guy chooses this way to leave this world its his choice, but to risk other peoples existance is unforgiveable
Pete
________
Risk equalization advice