C4 Advice....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chris570
(Donor 2020)

C4 Advice....

Post by Chris570 »

now, i've managed to convice my lovely lady to come over from the darkside (pug 206). I've not managed to coerce her towards a proper green blooded citroen, god knows i've tried.

So, she has decided that a C4 is what she wants, this leaves her the obvious choice of an HDi engine and i'm leaning towards the 1.6 lump. They do seem to have their problems with turbos etc but I suspect that is down to service intervals?

Anyway looking at a budget of up to about 2.5k and ideally want a nicer spec, anyone got any advice, pitfalls etc?

Cheers
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: C4 Advice....

Post by Lighty »

Dpf,can cause the turbo issues, also clutch is a very hard job to replace ( you won't do that one on the drive)
Otherwise they are a good car, at the end of the day they are a Pug 307, so a well sorted car by now, oh forgot the expensive rear discs :)
Tailgate wiring breaks in the rubber as well. That should do you for now.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yep, make sure it has had regular services, ideally less than the stated mileages. Keep the correct oil and keep it clean and it should be a reliable motor. Economical too.

Check all the electricals work, comms 2000 unit and steering wheel mounted buttons etc. They are quite nice cars, I can see one joining our fleet at some point.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
kenhall1202
My Cars: '05 C4 2.0HDI Exclusive
'07 Lexus RX400h
Past:
'73 GS 1220 Club Estate (a good intro to hydraulics and rust)
'74 DS D Super 5 (Superb comfort and even more rust)
'?? Dyane (fun + rust)
'?? CX 2400 GTI (served me well)
'89 CX Safari 2.5 DTR turbo (aka "the hearse" an excellent family load lugger)
'97 XM 2.1TD (Reliable and economical)

Post by kenhall1202 »

If you are well used to the comfortable ride provided by hydraulic Citroens then make sure you are comfortable with the much firmer ride you will experience in a C4. I have a C4 2.0HDI and it is like riding in a cart after getting out the XM - you feel every little road imperfection, although it does improve a little when the car is well loaded.
Also check for broken rear spring coils - modern quality of these is rubbish.
Ken Hall
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

Good choice Chris - go for it. =D> I actually think the ride is quite good on my Loeb (that's got the big 17" Resolfen alloys) and was actually really suprised at how smooth it is. Obviously not like a CX, but still good. I know you're going for a HDi but my Loeb's 1.6 16v Petrol is some quiet and smooth it's unbelievable - a great little engine.

I'd stick out for a Coupe if I was you, as IMO they look so much better than the Hatch's.

You'll easily find one as there's lots out there - took me a while as I'm a fussy so-and-so and wanted a Loeb... :lol: :roll:

I can totally recommend the C4 - another thing is that the build quality inside is streets ahead IMO of the C3 (for example).
Franklin