xud rear wheel drive?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

paulcloke

xud rear wheel drive?

Post by paulcloke »

hey guys, sadly i have been under my zx today and found a bit of a rotten patch. not to bad at the moment but because of where it is it will be to much work to justify on the old beast, so she will have to be scrapped. but it got me thinking. the engine in it is a xud 1.9TD as used in peugoats, rovers and citroens, its a cracking engine thats been really well looked after so i dont really want to scrap it. does anyone know if you can get a rear wheel drive gearbox that fits them? as i may try to fit it in to my 72 commer autosleeper camper. im sure it would be powerfull enough and its got the bosche fuel pump so will run on a 50/50 veg oil mix no problem
if your car breaks down, dont think of it as a unreliable pain that only costs you money and makes you walk everywhere.
think of it as a well tuned machine that likes to make sure its driver keeps in shape
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Re: xud rear wheel drive?

Post by rory_perrett »

LDV pilot gearbox is a popular choice for people using Peugeot/Citroen XUD engines to convert Suzuki SJ jeeps to diesel. Not sure how easy they are to find these days though.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

ahh brings back memories..

I had a commer auto a couple of years ago.. is your one mine? ;)

was a great old van.. but a td would make it so much better, as would a brake servo - 4 drums without , anyone? ;)

I changed mine to a hunter engine, twin carbs.. it was an improvement and almost free.. but took a while (sump wsa different for the commer block because of front subframe under it - and I didnt realise for many annoying hours/days)
that is the problem.. is there enough room under the hatch.. be a shame to have the engine partly up in the cab and loose the middle seat..
John
Last edited by jgra1 on 19 Apr 2012, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Paul, I run my td on 100% wvo as a few of us do.. apart from a cloudy idle and a few filters, it's been fine for 40-50K
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

What about the box from a 504 pickup ? , that's RWD if I remember correctly. :)

Then again a 505 is too.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
paulcloke

Post by paulcloke »

sorry guys, been a bit mad lately lol. nah mate your commer was not mine but i think i may know who has it lol. what colour and reg? 504 gearbox may work but think finding one would be a pig lol. have heard you can run on pure veg oil but to be honest i thought he was telling porkies lol. there are loads of options for engines for the commer that are farely simple but i decided i wanted to convert it with my old citroen zx lump for sentimentle reasons (i have done at least 30,000 miles in it, loaded it to the hilt, pulled trikes up and down the country) its never once let me down and i figure when you KNOW you got a good one you shouldnt just scrap it. i figure it will make a perfect commer engine and at the end of the project i will have a TAX EXEMPT TD campervan that runs on VEGGIE, kind of a big F U to the gov lol
if your car breaks down, dont think of it as a unreliable pain that only costs you money and makes you walk everywhere.
think of it as a well tuned machine that likes to make sure its driver keeps in shape
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Rear wheel drive with XUD power? Put the engine in one of these, you know it makes sense.

Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
paulcloke

Post by paulcloke »

yh lolo have been considering that idea as well, but wanna see if it will fit the commer first lol, otherwise might put it in another car shell and put a mazda e2000 lump in the commer