Mods for the C5???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

C5Alan
My Cars:

Mods for the C5???

Post by C5Alan »

I hate to say it but I have always had the modding bug I like to personalise my cars so far the C5 has been left standard part of this has been down to time and the lack there of but with the longer nights and hope of fresh mot I want to do something. I am not into 'max power' body kits more just adding extra wee things to make your life easier and more fun. Unfortunately for me and my modding she is already well spec'd with things I would add - auto lights, auto wipers, cruise control

Any ideas of things that can be done I like the ideas of he sub £50 mods as you can get more fun for less

Is there any way to fiddle with the suspension I mean so you can drive it lowered or only move one wheel up/down like one of those hydraulic show cars???

What about simple power mods for a 2.0 hdi 110???
2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110hp Exclusive only done 218,000miles so just about run in. Family owned from new. Now Sold

2002 Renault Scenic 1.9Dci 111,000miles the new work bus
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: Mods for the C5???

Post by Citroenmad »

Im not into modding in the 'max power' style but I like subtle things :lol:

Suspension, well you can lower it either by telling the car to sit lower with a Lexia or by adjusting the height sensors on the ARBs. Bear in mind that lowering a C5 (like any car) will have a negative effect on the ride quality.

I have lowered my C5 very slightly with the Lexia, it is only slight and only so the gap around the road wheels is constant rather than having more space above the tyre between the wheel arch. Its a personal thing and I think it looks better, though really its only half an inch lower. You can lower it more, I tried this and the ride quality was a bit rough, so I got mine to a happy height where ride was not effected but it looked slightly better. Lowering it with a Lexia will only get you so low, as there are tolerances set into the C5s software for it to only go so low and then it reverts back to standard height if you put in too low a number.

You can not operate one wheel at a time, but you can lower the front and back independantly if you have a Lexia equipped laptop to hand, not exaclty a mod or a simple thing to achieve :lol:

If you want more power from your 2.0HDi 110 then my thought would be to get it remapped. These can cost anywhere from £200 upwards. I would only bother with a remap if the 'map is a custom one and not a generic one, as the same remap does not work the same on every car, despite them being the same engine. So you need a custom one or I would not bother. With a good remap you can actually see an increase in MPG as the engine needs to be worked less in normal driving to achieve your normal driving speed. Im very tempted by a remap for my 138 HDi C5.

There are people on here with a tuning box attached to their car, this increases performance too. However some just fool the car into injecting more fuel, which has negative effects and also ruins economy. Better ones seem to work well and im sure Paul (citroenxm) will back me up on this.

You could block off the EGR valve, very cheap thing to do and is supposed to make them a little livlier. To me it seemed to make the car pull much better under 2000rpm. You also need to make sure the car is running as it should and since these seem sensitive to MAFs you should at least clean that.

Other cheap mods:
I have fitted chromed indicator bulbs back and front to my C5s, it takes out the orange glow from the light unit when the bulb is off but lights up orange when its on. Subtle but effective.

You can get a stubby C5 ariel for about £5 from ebay but they don't recieve signal too great, I have one, it looks good but ive gone back to the normal ariel now as I like listening to the radio :lol:

I always fit contoured mudflaps to all of my cars and they really suit the C5 in my opinion.

Something I have not done to this C5 yet but really need to is fit a connects2 (or similar) to play my Ipod through the car. I have this in the 2002 C5 but think ill go for a C-car Link for this C5 as they seem a bit better.

Slightly more expensive:

If you C5 has the under-wheeled 15" wheels you could always upgrade those, either to 16" C5 wheels (can be got off ebay for reasonable money) or go aftermarket if you so wish.

If your has a cloth interior you could always stick in a set of leathers. Often available on ebay and I think there are some cream ones on there now. The electrics should already be in the car.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

The first mod to make is to fire it back up the ugly tree in an effort to undo whats been done :lol: :lol:

I have a sneaky plan to actually get one these things :shock: It wont make them any nicer ](*,)

:-D
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

I could seriously be tempted by leathers as I think the drivers seat has started to sag and has a hole anyway
Wheels I kinda like the 15's on at the min as they are different to any other c5 round here but might keep my eye out for a scabby set to refurbish not that hard to do just time consuming
Mud flaps not a big fan myself still got 2 of the original 4 one still fitted I need to get this off
I have fitted one of those aerials to the missus golf as her was missing when we got it and it works ok

Suspension and power mods might be on hold for a while not sure if I really want to remap it yet
2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110hp Exclusive only done 218,000miles so just about run in. Family owned from new. Now Sold

2002 Renault Scenic 1.9Dci 111,000miles the new work bus
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I really don't see this ugly thing with C5s, they might be accused of being a little bland (most modern cars are) but ugly? While I agree that they are not among the best looking cars, I don't find them ugly.

And the estate I find very good looking. I admit that the earlier C5s are a little more challenged, but they have grown on me and sometimes I prefer them to the facelifts!

Im thinking a remap will pay for itself eventually, due to the slightly better MPG and also it will be more fun :-D Though ive not done this yet despite having had three C5s :lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I really don't see this ugly thing with C5s,
Ah but those pics are the German ones? Lexi will be looking at the Ugly French models for around 300 quid :mrgreen:

I may add a 0 and get a good one though !

To be serious I am more interested now how a car performs and feels on the inside..........that is where you drive em from :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

lexi wrote:
I really don't see this ugly thing with C5s,
Ah but those pics are the German ones? Lexi will be looking at the Ugly French models for around 300 quid :mrgreen:

I may add a 0 and get a good one though !

To be serious I am more interested now how a car performs and feels on the inside..........that is where you drive em from :lol:
That above pictures is my C5II (or facelift) and is a decent looking car in my opinion. The C5III is very different, I do like the look of those too.

Good :lol: Its how people should view a car, as a car and not a fashion accessory. Which is why the majority of 'good' looking cars are sold :lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Some Grey leather on ebay at the minute, like the leather in the C5 seems hard wearing.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

If you think they're ugly try asking a woman, I've got a 2002 C5 HDI in green and the women positively swoon over it :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

What - because you can fit a walking frame in the boot without folding it down? :P
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

=D>
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
Jabo
My Cars:

Post by Jabo »

In mine I've fitted an FM transmitter MP3 player and it is doing a very good job at the moment. Only a fiver off eBay and it supports USB drives, SD cards and has a line-in socket.

I've also stuck in a pair of subs and amps mounted in the boot. Have a look at my previous threads for the discussion we had on the best place to run a live feed through - it was a real pain trying to find somewhere!

I've fitted a pair of these sidelight bulbs and they're very sexy: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-501-W ... 589129478a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I need a new gear knob so I think I'm going to buy one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-Ball- ... 3cc517ce47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've cut a decent sized part out of the bottom of the air filter housing and shaped it to improve air flow. This removes the cold air feed but it's fine as my car doesn't suffer as badly from heatsoak as most cars as the exhaust manifold is to the rear of the bay. It has a decent growl now and improved airflow into the filter.

Slowly coming up with ideas for more mods, considering some aftermarket wheels; and I really want to get a Lexia!
2001 Citroen C5 SX 2.0 petrol - Misty Lilac

0-60 MPH Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... zero60full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weight Transfer Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ansfercalc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jabo
My Cars:

Post by Jabo »

The subs and amps run off the standard headunit with the use of a line convertor. I considered installing one of my JVC units but that would have involved a fascia adaptor, ISO adaptors and steering wheel control adaptors. Pointless really!

0-60 MPH Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... zero60full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weight Transfer Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ansfercalc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Jabo wrote:The subs and amps run off the standard headunit with the use of a line convertor. I considered installing one of my JVC units but that would have involved a fascia adaptor, ISO adaptors and steering wheel control adaptors. Pointless really!
Not neccessarily, i've got an Alpine head unit that just connected into the standard ISO sockets with no adaptors needed. A Connects2 wheel control interface was £28 off eBay and a fascia adaptor £5. I've got an Infinity amp running a ported 12" sub running off the HU sub pre out and also both USB and iPod interfaces which can all be run by the wheel controls, a nice cheap solution which improved the stereo system no end.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
Jabo
My Cars:

Post by Jabo »

Pointless for me when you consider that all of that kit over 30 quid and the only additional function it provides over what I have it steering wheel controls for the USB/iPod. My FM transmitter comes with a remote control anyway.
Your kit cost 33 quid + the Alpine head unit. Mines was a tenner for the line convertor and FM transmitter and I get to keep the OE look :-P