starting problems xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Harry1975

starting problems xantia

Post by Harry1975 »

hi ihave an 1.8 16v xantia 1996. ive a starting problem, it does not happen all the time but when i turn the key its like i have a flat or low battery the starter motor hardly turns the engine. I ve had the problem before, so i checked all the earths i could find cleaned them and still the same, i solved the problem with a jump lead from battery to the engine on the mount engine lifting point and its been fine up to now ! Ive fully charged battery good clean contacts on earths etc, so cant work out why its doing what it is? Is my starter motor on it way out ? break in the wiring somewhere? CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE ????

thanks Harry
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: starting problems Xantia

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Harry

The fact that the contacts look clean doesn't necessarally mean that they are making good contact, connect a voltmeter between the battery earth terminal and the engine, when you engage the starter you should see only a very small voltage, if you see several volts take your engine earth connection off and give it a good scrape also where it is connected and try again.

Peter
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

if as you say that the car was okay with a lead form the battery to the engine as earth then it would indicate that the earths are a bit iffy?? i spent a morning cleaning up all the contact points on the bx a few years ago and fitted new earth leads from the battery to gearbox, chassis etc. with new ones, also fitted a Big chunky earth lead from the battery to battery tray and onto cog box, (as per original on the engine - mi16) made a Big difference to how the car started! fully charged battery and a relay in the starting circuit providing full voltage tot he starter and Fires up Super fast!

got all my earth cables form the local auto sparks and deisel testing centre, cost me just over a tenner i think it was!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Harry1975

Post by Harry1975 »

thanks guys,i think i need new leads, as i cleaned contacts again today fit new connectors to the battery leads which made a little difference, ie i could start without my extra jump lead connection , but hay ho when i came to leave the problem was back, lucky the the car was facing down hill so bump started her. think its a trip to halfords tomorrow and buy some cable and bits. so fingers crossed lol

Thanks Harry :)
Harry1975

Post by Harry1975 »

Timmo what do you mean by fitting a relay and how,where? any ruff wiring diagrams please ?
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Basically you put a relay into the starting circuit, place it close to the battery and run a shor positive and negative from there then all you need to do is run the ignition feed to the starter to the feed of the relay and then run a nice New wire down to the starter,
Is a ten min jon that can make a lot of difference if the wiring like On many starts to get a little brittle as the starter will get a full voltage feed from the relay,
Very common mod on the petrol engines, pug sport official club at the time (not long after became the pug sport official owners club) started it off if you like and has saved many hours of Fighting to get the starter out ( 1.9 petrol lumps is a take the inlet off! The older big units simply won't come out on the 16v with the inlet inplace!!). I don't have a wiring diagram as there on the main computer which is at my brothers, but is a simple job, hopefully explained it well enough!!

Have a look around for a local auto sparks shop as I'd suspect prices would be better and quality better than for halfords equivalent! My Silly thick one was £7! Std battery power/earth cable was £2 iirc!! And the beefy relay and connecters was less than a tenner!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Harry1975

Post by Harry1975 »

thanks Timmo, i will try and wrap my head around what you say, i think i can work it out from what your saying, yeah i will have a shop around for cable. thanks again mate. cheer Harry