206 1.4 HDi timing belt change enquiry!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

avamotor
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 307 1.4HD
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

206 1.4 HDi timing belt change enquiry!

Post by avamotor »

Hello FCF members,

I am about to undertake a water pump, timing belt and tensioner and idler roller change (and auxillary belt and associated rollers too! [-o< ) and would like to ask for some clarification.

I have done all my own belt changes on every car i ever owned so far with no real hassle, but I am confused following the reading of the relevant "Haynes" manual for my slightly newer car!!!

There is no reference made to any Tension for the timing belt for the 1.4 HDi, only 2.0 HDi!!, :? am i right to assume PSA have taken all the guesswork out of tensioning the 1.4 HDi and fact made it an absolute doddle to change with no need of a tension guage :) ? the only paragraph i can see that would give any tension has the following advice:-

Slacken the tensioner pulley bolt and using blah, blah hex key, rotate the tensioner anti clockwise, which moves the index arm clockwise, until the index arm is aligned.remove crankshaft and camshaft timing pins blah, blah, and rotate engine 10 complete revolutions, refit the crankshaft and camshaft timing pins .

check blah the index arm is still aligned between the edges of the area, if not remove belt and begin refitting process again. [-X

remainder of refitting is a reversal removal etc blah.

Could I ask to anyone out there in FCF land if they have ever changed a 2004 1.4 HDi timing belt and this tensioning method is "correct" with no need for tension gauges etc.
[-o<
Thank you Garry
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Re: 206 1.4 HDi timing belt change enquiry!

Post by Oldpug »

That`s the normal eccentric tensioner, just turn the key and watch the pointer move until its inline with the notch.Most Peugeot/Citroen engines (and other makes) use that idea now.Study the new one and the old one before you start dismantlement and make sure the "lug" is located in the block.
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Oldpug is correct, the tensioner is Automatic, and just needs to have the pointer lined up in its window when you first fit he belt
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
avamotor
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 307 1.4HD
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by avamotor »

Wow! :shock: So gone are the days for tension gauges then, as long as the engine rotates X number of times after setup and still lines up with notch and all timing pins line up and correspond job done and no need for Mr "Gates" and his belt tension gauge to check my handiwork =D>

Peugeot took out all the guesswork! :-D