Leaking water pump ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mads
My Cars:

Leaking water pump ?

Post by Mads »

Just changed timing belt on my Xantia 2.0 16v estate this weekend and noticed some greasy stuff at the bottom, apparently leaking from the water pump (Dried coolant ?), which could rotate without problems. I did not have a spare available so I had to close everything up again with the suspect pump still in. Being on the steep part of the DIY learning curve, I would like to be assured that it is indeed a classical sign of a worn out water-pump (or just a gadget?) before I take everything apart again.
Thanks in advance
Mads
PS: Any tips on how to make sure the new belt is tensioned correctly other than the locking holes being in the right position and the 45° twisting mentioned in Haynes ?
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Just had the water pump changed on my zx 1.4i while having the cambelt changed. My concern that with a leaking water pump you could get coolant all over the cambelt which in itself is not good, becuase a cambelt likes to run in a totally dry environment. And when water and antifrezze is added to the equation it may break in service or slip which may mean bye bye engine. My advice would be to get it changed.