Lexia 3 and XM MK1

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

painterman7
My Cars: C5 MK 1 2002
Audi A6 2,7

Lexia 3 and XM MK1

Post by painterman7 »

Hi,
Can anyone let me know if I can use my newly acquired Lexia clone on my XM Mk1 2Lt petrol turbo, If so I would appreciate it if you could give me connection details and any other information.
Thanks in advance.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Lexia 3 and XM MK1

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, you should be able to if it came with a two-pin diagnostic lead. This lead also has red and black wires ending in croc clips for attaching to the battery to power the interface.

Mine did come with this lead but like the 30 pin diagnostic adaptor not all Chixias do...

My experience of diagnosing MK1 XMs using a Lexia is that data transfer is painfully slow, especially the Hydractive ECU. Data packets were being transported by arthritic snails I believe...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I believe you will need the 2 pin adaptor for using lexia on a mk1 XM
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

wheeler wrote:I believe you will need the 2 pin adaptor for using lexia on a mk1 XM
I believe that is indeed the case Wheeler :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
painterman7
Audi A6 2,7

Post by painterman7 »

Thanks, I do have the two pin lead & clips, I need to know what the different colour two pin sockets are for ( What colour does what )
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

painterman7 wrote:Thanks, I do have the two pin lead & clips, I need to know what the different colour two pin sockets are for ( What colour does what )
As far as I recall, and it's been a couple of years now, each ECU has a two pin socket dangling off its wiring loom near the ECU connector. That's the diagnostic socket for that ECU. I fancy these diagnostic sockets have black rubber blanking plugs in them..

Plug the lead in and go from there.

I'm sure a person more experienced in the MK1 XM will be along shortly with the full details of what to do...
Jim

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

green socket is engine, blue hydractive, white abs there are others, but ive found they dont repond to a lexia, they probably are not diag sockets.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

Ahhh, relief, the only ECUs my series 1 Xms have are Hydratives!

Magic! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
painterman7
Audi A6 2,7

Post by painterman7 »

Many Thanks for replies, Does it matter which way the two pin is inserted, as on the plug there is 1 & 2?
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

although there are two wires only one does anything important so if you get no dialogue just swap the connections it wont do any damage.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
painterman7
Audi A6 2,7

Post by painterman7 »

do you get dialogue with the lexia or just pulses?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

painterman7 wrote:do you get dialogue with the lexia or just pulses?
You get dialogue. Not much but definitely dialogue. The Hydractive dialogue tells you things you must do to perform the diagnostic as I recall. Remember when we did yours Dean?
Jim

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

yes but i think all that is down to the lexia, you can pull fault codes from the engine and hydractive ecu's with a £12 reader halfords holds on the shelf but the lexia is good for getting real time info from the hydractive ecu and abs, the abs wont talk to a cheap reader, the engine ecu is dumb and will only give faults, there is no support for real time obd2 style information as you would expect, i believe you can change ignition timing on the the non turbo engines that dont have a knock sensor and some other basic stuff though. I am tempted by mmy own lexia but i think i will have a nice word with John and see if i can pop over for the day and see what a lexia can really do with the older stuff before i take the plunge.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

A Lexia is incredibly valuable on an Activa Dean :wink:

Their Hydractive ECUs rally benefit from a regular read and fault clearance...
Jim

painterman7
Audi A6 2,7

Post by painterman7 »

When you say, real time info from the hydractive ecu and abs, is that in motion? Is the lead long enough?