Xantia S1 no rear fog lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

redzzed
My Cars:

Xantia S1 no rear fog lights

Post by redzzed »

Thx in advance guys , this is a really helpful forum .

I got an R reg Xantia sx and the rear foglights do not come on .
The front ones' do and also the warning light comes on on the dash. Everything else electrical works .
have checked the fuses and a mechanic checked the relays or said he did .

They have never worked while i have had the car (as far as i know ) and i would hardly ever use them , but fogs are an mot failure issue .
i do have a towbar , never used and i did read somewhere that sometimes a switch or something in the bar itself can get
depressed to turn off the rear fogs ( for when something is being towed and the lights would nt be visible from behind anyway) , but i cant see any such switch .

have had 2 mechanics check this ..one ran out of time on 1/2 day and the other couldnt find the problem and has
given me a number for an auto mechanic .

any ideas pls ??
current : 1997 xantia 1.9 td sx a/c
previous cars :
1997 zx memphis td
1996 zx volcane td
1994 zx volcane td
carpysmith
My Cars:

Re: Xantia S1 no rear fog lights

Post by carpysmith »

Hi there,
I would imagine it has already been checked, but if it,s anything like my series 2 xantia there is a cable with a plug on each end that links the tail gate lights together. it,s behind the panel you take off to get at rear wiper motor (might be worth checking it is all plugged in?) i think xantias are prone to the wires breaking in the rubber grommet/tube where they go through from bodywork to tailgate as well!
hope that helps!!
Regards
Steve (aka carpysmith)
1999 xantia 2.0hdi sx (estate)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Steve (Carpysmith), I've sent you a PM about your email address...

I'm telling you here as you will not receive an email notification because your email address is refusing to accept mail from the forum!

Grateful if you could please have a check..

Many thanks and sorry to hijack this thread...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
redzzed
My Cars:

Post by redzzed »

Thx for the replies , i will check the panel tomorrow , i think i have fixed the email/pm problem , dunno how that got to be wrong .

dave
current : 1997 xantia 1.9 td sx a/c
previous cars :
1997 zx memphis td
1996 zx volcane td
1994 zx volcane td
neil123
My Cars: 2001 Xantia 110 Hdi Forte estate - owned from new.
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

Two thoughts - have fallen for both of these in the past!

1) Both bulbs failed. Often one fails, no-one notices. Other fails, you start by assuming it's something more serious!

2) My best guess... try this one first (that's why I've listed it second!) Towbar wiring socket will have a cut-out operated by the plug being inserted in the socket, supposed to stop glare on trailer as you suggest. That'll be stuck! Take off towbar socket, look at back of socket, either clean up the obvious cutout device or bypass it so foglights work regardless.

Bonne chance!