Hydralic Pump Steering prob

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Andy
My Cars:

Hydralic Pump Steering prob

Post by Andy »

Hi
I have just replaced the Hydraulic pump on my 95 Xantia. All is well apart from a vibration and sort of grinding/rumbling noise from power steering.
O K i know the steering will hiss but since changing the pump for a reconditioned one this grinding noise has started.
It makes this noise when i steer either way but only for a few seconds.
I can cope with the noise but it sounds like it is doing damage to something.
Could it be air in the system? if so how do i get rid of it.
I hope someone can help me out here.
Thanks
Andy[^]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Are you sure the noise isnt coming from the pump.
Any air in the steering system will find its own way out when it been worked a bit from lock to lock, are you sure the intake pipe to the pump is a good air tight fit, if not it will kepp on sucking air in.
Dave
Andy
My Cars:

Post by Andy »

Thanks for reply.
I am pretty sure the pipe is on tight but I will go out and double check it now.
Do you mean the rubber hose?
I will check all connections anyway.
Andy
Andy
My Cars:

Post by Andy »

Hi
Just been outand checked all connections to pump all appear to be tight and no sign of any leaks.
I have noticed though that the rumbling seems to be coming from the passenger side of the car.
While I checked for leaks my wife moved steering wheel and I can not hear the noise under the hood but when I sat in passenger seat I could feel it vibrating with the power steering..
The pump is a reconditioned pump from Andyspares so I can not see it being faulty more likely to be my fault somewhere along the line!!!
Any suggestions much appreciatied
Andy[:(]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Does this noise only happen when the steering is operating? - If so make sure there is no air in the rack ram etc by turning the wheel form tock to lock a few times and if it still presists have a good look at the rack and ram to make sure nothing is touching it - like the exhaust, or a collapsed or worn rack mount. It may be that with the increased vigor of a new pump the thing is deflecting a bit more than it used to.
jeremy