Citroen C5 "Automatic Gearbox Fault"

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

galahad

Citroen C5 "Automatic Gearbox Fault"

Post by galahad »

I picked up a 52 plate C5 HDi for 250Pounds, taxed and MOT'd.

Its done 172,000 miles, always serviced, but a problem with the tip tronic autobox which I believe is an AL4 as it doesn't have a dipstick on the box.

From cold, if you try to push the car too hard, you get a clunk from the box (presumably it shifting into a safer gear), service light comes on, MFD displays "Automatic Gearbox Fault" and essentially its driving around in limp mode.

i've looked around the net, and the general consensus seems to be that these boxes are very particular about oil changes.

Does this sound like I should be draining the old oil and renewing?

Previous owner said it used to do this occasionally, simply pulling over, switching off the engine and restarting would cure it, but then its now at least three times in a journey it will do it.

Other than that, the car drives lovely, was going to break it up for another C5 that needs fixing, but frankly, i'd rather get this one running right and keep it as its in good condition and has been looked after.

Thanks in advance.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Citroën C5 "Automatic Gearbox Fault"

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome Galahad :-D

Yes, I'd imagine an AL4...

There is only one way to diagnose this and that's to have a Lexia Diagniostic carried out...

Depending on where you live, a fellow member may be able to assist. Have a look at the bottom of this page - Lexia Locations - for one who may be nearby.

Good luck and I trust that'll help to nail it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
galahad

Post by galahad »

Thanks for that, are Snap On kit not good enough to read Citroen fault codes, or is Lexia the only alternative?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Lexia is generally more accurate with "freeze frames" of parameters at the point of fault logging.

You probably have the pressure regulation fault. The bad news is, when people have persevered driving cars for a long while with this fault it seems to inflict more significant damage upon the gearbox.

You may be lucky; the fix if it is just the two electrovalves is cheap and simple by comparison with a clutch job on a manual.
galahad

Re:

Post by galahad »

addo wrote:Lexia is generally more accurate with "freeze frames" of parameters at the point of fault logging.

You probably have the pressure regulation fault. The bad news is, when people have persevered driving cars for a long while with this fault it seems to inflict more significant damage upon the gearbox.

You may be lucky; the fix if it is just the two electrovalves is cheap and simple by comparison with a clutch job on a manual.
Snap On Verus won't touch the gearbox ECU, but reads everything else.

Got the MFD message wrong, its "Automatic Gear Fault".

Doesn't happen all the time, in fact happens rarely. generally rears its head when the autobox goes from first to second, and it slightly over revs before it changes into second, and then soon after, it brings up the fault.

I presume the electro valves are connected to the gearbox? Are they cheap from Citroen or from a motor factor?

Cheers
mlkey

Post by mlkey »

Hi Galahad,

I have an 04 plate with the AL4 box, they are a pain when cold, but fine once warmed up. When I picked up my car with just 30k miles on, the cold gearshifts were awful. I did a double oild flush on the gearbox and it was transformed. It is certainly your cheapest option as a starting point. There is also an oil wear counter which counts up to a preset value, and once reached it will flash the snow and sports lights while putting a message on the display. If you change the oil be sure to get the counter reset. Where abouts in the UK are you as I have a Lexia if you are local to Northampton.

The oil change procedure is fairly precise and you should ensure you use the correct oil available from Citroen dealers for around £10 a litre. You might also like to read a thread I started a month or so ago, questioning the characteristics of the gearbox when cold, it may help you calibrate your expectations: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... l4#p306578" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
galahad

Post by galahad »

mlkey wrote:Hi Galahad,

I have an 04 plate with the AL4 box, they are a pain when cold, but fine once warmed up. When I picked up my car with just 30k miles on, the cold gearshifts were awful. I did a double oild flush on the gearbox and it was transformed. It is certainly your cheapest option as a starting point. There is also an oil wear counter which counts up to a preset value, and once reached it will flash the snow and sports lights while putting a message on the display. If you change the oil be sure to get the counter reset. Where abouts in the UK are you as I have a Lexia if you are local to Northampton.

The oil change procedure is fairly precise and you should ensure you use the correct oil available from Citroën dealers for around £10 a litre. You might also like to read a thread I started a month or so ago, questioning the characteristics of the gearbox when cold, it may help you calibrate your expectations: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... l4#p306578" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for that, suspected it was a temp issue as when the car is fully warmed up, it rarely does it at all, and you can go up and down the gears as hard as you like and nothing goes wrong. Generally always before temp gauge hits normal.

I'm in Bath so unfortunately not near enough :(

I gather its a specific oil, and i'm also guessing its not cheap!

Actually likeing the car at the moment, comfortable, slightly noisier than i'd like, but goes alright for a big old barge.