Ban!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: Ban!!

Post by red_dwarfers »

The joys of living in the south west, in my (well, fairly short time on this planet) I've not known of a hosepipe ban down here. Although my parents do like to remind me of the great drought of '76 in which they found an old bridge in a reservoir.

I always assumed that the hosepipe ban was just that and that buckets are okay as not so much water is used.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

red_dwarfers wrote:The joys of living in the south west, in my (well, fairly short time on this planet) I've not known of a hosepipe ban down here. Although my parents do like to remind me of the great drought of '76 in which they found an old bridge in a reservoir.

I always assumed that the hosepipe ban was just that and that buckets are okay as not so much water is used.
I will just use the car wash.............. =D>
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

No hosepipe ban up here either, we have no shortage of water up here :roll:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I washed my fleet yesterday as the area I live in is subject to the ban, I can see why the ban has been brought in as the ground is so dry there are large cracks appearing everywhere there is bare earth/grass, what is rain?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

DickieG wrote:I washed my fleet yesterday as the area I live in is subject to the ban, I can see why the ban has been brought in as the ground is so dry there are large cracks appearing everywhere there is bare earth/grass, what is rain?
You should have been here on Tuesday, pouring down all day, the roads were like rivers!

Maybe us Northeners should start stockpiling our waters and selling it South :lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Citroenmad wrote:You should have been here on Tuesday, pouring down all day, the roads were like rivers!
My daughter popped up to Alton Towers yesterday and was effectively snowed in as the snow had felled trees which in turn knocked out power lines meaning the park was closed plus they couldn't leave the hotel within the park grounds due to power lines being down across the road, yet here I was walking about in a 'T' shirt :lol:
Citroenmad wrote:Maybe us Northeners should start stockpiling our waters and selling it South :lol:
Now that is common sense so very unlikely to happen :roll:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

DickieG wrote: My daughter popped up to Alton Towers yesterday and was effectively snowed in as the snow had felled trees which in turn knocked out power lines meaning the park was closed plus they couldn't leave the hotel within the park grounds due to power lines being down across the road, yet here I was walking about in a 'T' shirt :lol:
There have been power cuts up here too, some people have gone without electricity for over 24 hours. Though more due to the high winds than the snow.
DickieG wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:Maybe us Northeners should start stockpiling our waters and selling it South :lol:
Now that is common sense so very unlikely to happen :roll:
Ah, we're the sensible ones, thats why we are up here with all of the water :roll: :lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You should all (in affected areas) start watering the footings/foundations of your houses, NOW. Put lightly buried weeping hoses on a tap timer.

Far cheaper than underpinning.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Re:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

addo wrote:You should all (in affected areas) start watering the footings/foundations of your houses, NOW. Put lightly buried weeping hoses on a tap timer.

Far cheaper than underpinning.
Hi Addo

Do you speak from the experience of having to use your idea.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Sort of. I was too late, and had to bore pipes 6' into the ground, and keep them charged with water and a surfactant.

A lot of heritage architects will advocate keeping the ground damp as described.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Addo certainly has a point as I recall the problems of subsidence that came about a few years after the big drought of 76 with in some instances whole housing estates suffering making them all but impossible to sell as it was impossible to get a mortgage.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

A workmate told me about this story he had come across regarding flushing.

Here's the online story from the paper he saw it in.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... sters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ACTIVA

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well I washed it earlier before posting, at a useful DIY jet wash open all night. 8-)

I take my own brush and cleaning liquid, no queues when you go there as I wait until it will be less busy, and then go out for a long Italian tune up! 8-) :wink:
ACTIVA

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

If there was a better grey water system, that could be used for mains flushing. I believe the purging as described, is necessary because of deteriorated services (ie; inside of pipes less then optimum condition) and marginal capacity. Given the small grades on many large bore services (sewers/rainwater) if sediment or sludge buildup it can quickly gain on you.

Re the '76 drought - a lot of the "expert underpinners" seemed to come over here, once their shonky work was outed... :roll: And I have seen polyurethane injection used several times - it works, but by no means the magic bullet suggested by its exponents. Usually it will find a way into cracks and wedge parts of the footing wider open. Pus, the pricing is somewhere between extortion and highway robbery.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

When I lived Dahn Sowf there was a news feature on a chap living on the Izzle of Wigit who re-used his grey water in flushing and supplemented this with rain water collected from water butts on his roof.
Rather than applauding his recycling of water, the local water company were complaining saying that they were having to deal with more waste water from him than he was paying for (waste water charge is usually a % of water taking in by a household) despite the fact that they'd still have to deal with the rain water and grey water he was using anyway.
There's also the millions that water companies have made charging people for taking away their surface water where the households actually have their own drainage (you can only claim the last 6 years charges where as in some places they've been charging for 25 years!).
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool