cd upgrade

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mark_sp

cd upgrade

Post by mark_sp »

I'm trying to work out a cost effective way of adding a cd player or autochanger to my 1998 xantia. The current head unit does not support a cd autochanger. I want to keep the steering wheel controls. I have a blaupunkt cd tuner but to fit it will cost £70 which is excessive for a unit thats already 2 years old and only cost £110. anyone got any experience of using and or fitting one of the fm modulator cd changers. I've seen some advertised at about £150 to £170.
mark
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I heard one of these FM modulator type gismo's a few years back in a friends car, there was a hiss that couldn't be got rid of, don't know if they have got any better now but it put me off them for life.
If you go down this road be sure to have a listen to one on your head unit before handing over the green stuff.
Dave
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

mark,
i replaced my blaupunkt tape player with a sony cd player, after trying different ways to save me replacing the stereo.
works a treat, did have to by some extra leads from
http://www.autoleads.co.uk cost me about £40.00.
if the worse comes to the worse & you have to replace the blaupunkt head cd, you might want to put it up for sale & try & get something towards a new headunit which works with the steering wheel controls.
dom
higgy
My Cars:

Post by higgy »

[I used an fm modulator cd changer in my 94 xantia. It worked fine,no hiss at all,a very cheap way of adding a multi-changer. I've just bought a 98 xantia which has the controls on the head unit for a cd changer and am now trying to source an adapter lead to connect my existing changer to the citroen head unit.
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Thanks to all.
where did you mount the display from the fm modulator cd changer ?
Although I've not ruled it out my gut feeling on the fm modulator is that its a work around rather than a proper solution.
I definately want to keep the steering wheel controls working and whatever head unit goes in has to blend reasonably well with the dash.
the cheapest I've been quoted for a complete package with fitting is about £350 which is approximately one seventh the value of the car.
I've seen a tape player with cd changer controls for sale on ebay which is from a later model xantia, I'd buy it if it would fit and work with the steering controls, anyone know ?
mark
higgy
My Cars:

Post by higgy »

The display for the fm modulator also has the controls for the changer in it so your steering wheel controls stay as they are. Also you can keep your existing head unit so no need for adaptors.I fitted modulator behind the dash and fed the cable for the display/remote through the consol and mounted it just forward of the height adjusting lever.