Rattle Rattle.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Monkee-Mike

Rattle Rattle.

Post by Monkee-Mike »

Hi Guys.
Yep me "Again" #-o
Just noticed a slight rattle when excelerating in my xantia 2.0Hdi 90Bhp Year 2000 it disappears after certain revs. Any clues. could it be an injector fault or something a tad serious no warning lights on the dash like a big STOP sign or anything? hope bloody not cos the old girl has just gone through MOT which may of caused the issue as it wasn't happening before and i believe they rev the dogs nuts off it for the Emissions readings.
Ta.
Mike
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Rattle Rattle.

Post by CitroJim »

Mike, It could well be your crank pulley. It's a dual-mass affair and they do 'go' after a while. If the noise seems to emanate from the driver's side of the engine and you can hear it with your head under the bonnet than that's it.

You may hear it, as proof positive, clang a little when switching off the engine or engaging the aircon.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Monkee-Mike

Post by Monkee-Mike »

Hi Jim
Thanks for the quick response. It sounds like the passenger side to be honest no noises when starting and switching the engine off or engaging the Aircon. its when i hit the gas peddle then a slight rattle upto say 2000rpm then it stops change gear and it comes back building revs if i ease of the accelerator it stops then foot down and it comes back....but not all the time high end say motor way staying in 5th gear nowt no noise or 4th gear. i will try and record the noise on the way home and post it....might add abit of showaddywaddy to it give it a bit of a 70s feel.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Well at least we can rule out the crank pulley :)

Does it make the noise only when in gear and under way? Dies revving the engine in neutral provoke it?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Monkee-Mike

Post by Monkee-Mike »

Ive not tried that one.....will let you know later with audio description.
Thanks Jim.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent! Also, see if the noise goes away if the clutch is depressed Mike...

Looking forward to a bit of showaddywaddy :-D
Jim

Monkee-Mike

Post by Monkee-Mike »

Hi Jim
PM Me i will send the file to your inbox you can here the noise between 9-15 seconds into the clip. Sorry no showaddywaddy couldn't find the CD :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

There’s a way of posting a video clip on here Mike so that it can be assessed by a wider panel than just me. Trouble is all this Internet video stuff is beyond my understanding. Maybe if you're happy to have it public on here one of our more savvy admins in this field can help us...
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

could be thrust bearing,

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:could be thrust bearing,
I was thinking that way Malcolm, hence Mike why we need to know if it happens when the clutch is disengaged...
Jim

Monkee-Mike

Post by Monkee-Mike »

i got the thing on chad tube :-)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?n ... -YXq_E6B68" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Monkee-Mike

Post by Monkee-Mike »

And it doesn't happen when the clutch is disengaged..only when the revs kick in whilst driving. I can rev it while in neutral it doesn't make that sound.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mike, utoob is asking for a login when the link is clicked.

Have you not made the video public somehow?
And it doesn't happen when the clutch is disengaged..only when the revs kick in whilst driving. I can rev it while in neutral it doesn't make that sound
OK, so that's aft of the gearbox then. I'd say on that basis the clutch was OK and the noise must be on the drive-line. Is you ABS OK? This could almost the sound a loose ABS reluctor ring might make.

Stll, we need to hear that video Mike...
Jim

Monkee-Mike

Post by Monkee-Mike »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry about that try this link.
Monkee-Mike

Post by Monkee-Mike »

Yea Abs is Fine new reluctor rings fitted september 2011