oil consumption

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

csr dog

oil consumption

Post by csr dog »

Hi all, i have a 207 cielo sport with the 1.4 16v petrol,95bhp.
I purchased the car in November with 22k mileage and a full service history. My concern is the amount of oil i go through, 1 litre per month!!!
My local Peugeot dealer have had the car in for an inspection and couldn't find any leaks.
Water temp just sits above 90c and the oil temp sits halfway.
I do 250 miles p/w which is motorway driving so i am not doing much town driving. The car also returns 53/54 mpg.
Doe's anyone else have this problem?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

In "old school" mechanicking, we would say the rings never seated/bedded.

Compression tests would show a little of what's going on there, as would leakdown.

Does it blow any smoke if you accelerate after a prolonged downhill run with no throttle?
citronut
My Cars:

Re: oil consumption

Post by citronut »

my daughters 1.8 16V pissscasssoooo gets through loads of oil but no sign of smoke or any leaks what so ever,
several people i have spoken to say that's normal, not to my way of thinking though,

regards malcolm
csr dog

Re:

Post by csr dog »

addo wrote:In "old school" mechanicking, we would say the rings never seated/bedded.

Compression tests would show a little of what's going on there, as would leakdown.

Does it blow any smoke if you accelerate after a prolonged downhill run with no throttle?
No smoke but when i start the engine from cold its quiet but after a few minutes it gets a bit noisy.
The cars previous owner was an old lady, just wondering like you said that the rings are bedded in properly.
On the mini forum they use the same BMW designed engine and they are also reporting high oil consumption.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Its not unknown for even modern engines to use oil, though even if there is no blue smoke the oil is being burnt, as its not leaking out.

So your going through about 1 litre for every 1K miles. To me that sounds excessive but its not unheard of.

Your economy for a 1.4 petrol is pretty excellent!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Citroenmad wrote:Its not unknown for even modern engines to use oil, though even if there is no blue smoke the oil is being burnt, as its not leaking out.
I believe Volkswagens are well known for this. My neighbour seemed always to be topping up his late diesel Passat.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

CitroJim wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:Its not unknown for even modern engines to use oil, though even if there is no blue smoke the oil is being burnt, as its not leaking out.
I believe Volkswagens are well known for this. My neighbour seemed always to be topping up his late diesel Passat.
My Seat TDi used to use oil, but only because I kept it full, if I left it and didn't top up it would get down to the middle mark on the dipstick and then not use any more. Obviously didn't like too much oil!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Weight of numbers doesn't make it right - especially 1 litre per thousand, as at 5K service intervals it would be nearly dry. However, I don't fancy the chances of a simple/cheap fix now it's gone so long.

I'd be trying the Italian tune-up first, possibly then the scouring powder trick if you're game.
csr dog

Re:

Post by csr dog »

addo wrote:Weight of numbers doesn't make it right - especially 1 litre per thousand, as at 5K service intervals it would be nearly dry. However, I don't fancy the chances of a simple/cheap fix now it's gone so long.

I'd be trying the Italian tune-up first, possibly then the scouring powder trick if you're game.
Scouring powder trick, not sure if i like the sound of that but what is it?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's absolute last resort if the Italian tuneups have been evaluated over several thousand and haven't had a result.

With the motor hot and running stationary, you gently shake the mild type of domestic scouring powder (Vim/Ajax/Bon Ami etc) into the airstream, whilst gunning the motor up and down. Couple of tablespoons is all. Then repeat the Italian tuneup straight away with a couple of good hard runs. The idea is to deglaze your bores, so the rings might seat more fully.

I'd suggest a prompt oil change thereafter. If it doesn't work, you may have taken 10-20K off the engine life - nothing more. It's important to keep the powder dispersed in the air whilst applying; you don't want it sitting as a paste in oily recesses of the manifold, to then drip randomly into a bore.

Whilst recognised as an "old time" remedy I suspect a few of the folks here will absolutely FREAK upon reading the methods above! :twisted:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

:shock:

It'll de-glaze them sure enough but I do wonder about what else it'll de-glaze in the process...

As you say, an absolute last resort..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Ask about it on a forum like BITOG. Someone will quote you the Caterpillar service part number for a can of Bon Ami... :shock:

The amount of rubbish that can pass through an engine fairly safely, is pretty stunning.
csr dog

Re:

Post by csr dog »

addo wrote:Ask about it on a forum like BITOG. Someone will quote you the Caterpillar service part number for a can of Bon Ami... :shock:

The amount of rubbish that can pass through an engine fairly safely, is pretty stunning.
Thanks for the advice but i think i will leave the jiff for the Mrs and the kitchen floor :-D
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the CIFF (JIFF) is priety good for burnishing the paint, dam sight cheaper the T cut,

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:the CIFF (JIFF) is priety good for burnishing the paint, dam sight cheaper the T cut,
And it can all be done in a jiffy :lol:
Jim