Anti-roll bar bushes ... Activa mk1

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Front D-bushes are secured by the bolts on your wishbone P-bushes.

I used rubber grease around the replacement items and anti-roll bar itself, then left the bolts barely nipped up before Citrobics, and a few rolls back/forth under power. Then I lay on the ground beside the running car at normal ride height, to tighten. Not super-easy, but it meant that I hadn't locked in torsional preload.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Anti-roll bar bushes ... Activa mk1

Post by Xaccers »

Have you lubed the front stuts to eliminate them from the source of the noise?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

there is no need to finaly tighten the rear front arm bush (P bush) with the weight of the car on its wheels at normal hight,

the main thing is to fit the new P bush onto the arm in the correct oriantation in the first place,

although this is correct procedure for the front front arm bush,

regards malcolm
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Reason for it here, is that it's possible to clamp the D-bush ontro the anti-roll bar at the wrong "clocking" if the car is not sorted for ride height.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

superloopy1 wrote:front ride height seems to have gradually crept higher recently
How much higher? Four fingers instead of three? Think I'd be looking at/correcting the ride height issue before getting stuck into anything else.

I had an issue with the rear height on my Series 1 being too high. Never found the reason why. I assume the clamp on the rear anti-roll bar hadn't been tight enough, allowing it to rotate slightly. I reset it, which was a bit fiddly (support the car so it can't drop on you!), and no further problems. Possibly overloaded the car with bags on compost once too often? Could it be that the raised ride height is causing the strut tops to groan in their new orientation?
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Adam i spoz it might be possible for the ARB D bush to move if you accidently move the ARB whilst the bolts are out,

but in saying that as long as you dont alow the D bush to move what you say above would not be necercery, as the ARB should be able to rotate in its bush's when its all bolted up tight,

regards malcolm
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

That's where I don't agree with you - the D bush usually clamps hard enough onto the ARB that movement of the bar, twists the rubber.

Easy if I had a four-poster to work on for this stuff.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

the D bush usually clamps hard enough onto the ARB that movement of the bar, twists the rubber.
Is that not the way they function and the reason they eventually break up? Do all rubber bushes not take twisting force as well as pistonic movement?

I ask this as I notice my Vel D bushes on ARB seem to have the hole slightly enlarged where the bar goes through and is slightly rusty.....no real play with pry bar though.
Is that why you are putting the rubber grease in there? Just trying to get this clear in my mind here :)
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I use the rubber grease as an assembly aid. Makes sure there isn't unwanted binding occurring before it's all lined up and torqued down.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Ideal image size is either 640 x 480 or for larger images post a thumbnail that links to the full size image.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Those ramps look the business Mike :-D

Just the job I'd say...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

superloopy wrote:what are the pitfalls?
The major pitfall if you get things wrong is that the car would crush you, but using the ramps should avoid that!

My own experience is only with adjusting the rear height, which may be a bit more accessible than the front, and I did this with the car sitting on level ground, albeit having driven it on to 4 wooden blocks of equal height, to increase chassis clearance. As the ride height information given in Haynes is measured from ground level to the underside of the sub-frame in the vicinity of the drive-shafts, you'll find this difficult as the car will be sloping upwards on the ramps. However, if your arch-wheel clearance is 4-5 fingers rather than the guideline of 3 (see other posts on the Forum), then I would have thought you could adjust with the car on the ramps to bring the clearance closer to this 3 finger clearance. I'm assuming here that the 3 finger figure is applicable whatever model of Xantia. The height control mechanism is connected via a short plastic link (approx 2", often referred to as the dogbone) to a clamp on the anti-roll bar. The clamp is eased by fractionally undoing one bolt, and is very sensitive in it's control of the car's height. You'll then have to adjust on a trial and error basis.

I think you'll find there's a few posts/threads on this subject elsewhere on the Forum.

When I first bought my Xantia at 3 years old, I found the front ride height to be too high, and I had a Citroen dealership do the adjustment (took them 1/2hr). Interestingly, I subsequently found the car to handle much better through the chicane of a roundabout I used regularly, where the camber changed significantly on the exit - the ride height no longer topped/bottomed out, and car felt taughter through the exit
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
bra.ker
My Cars:

Post by bra.ker »

Hi to all,
first of all sorry for my English - I am not a native speaker. Does the noise occur only at low speeds? And in straight direction or also in sharp curves?
MK2 Xantia Activa 2,0 HDi; MK1 Xantia Activa 3,0i