A ping and then a bang?!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Quidam

A ping and then a bang?!

Post by Quidam »

The saga with our 207 continues!

As if the handbrake cable sticking causing the brakes to be seized on wasn't enough for one week my wife returned home last night saying she'd heard a noise like a "ping" followed by a loud bang twice whilst driving home - once at low speed while negotiating a junction and secondly at about 35mph.

My initial thought was a snapped spring but I can't see anything obvious, although when driving I'm sure the road noise and vibration from the surface through the car is a little louder then before, and when negotiating speed bumps there is a definite clunk from the front when the car falls back to the road. Also, from where she described it happening I suspect she must have been turning to the left at the time. Despite a good drive around town last night Iwas unable to experience the ping/bang combo myself!

Can anyone suggest what might be the cause (difficult I know without having a good look/feel around) but suggestions would be most welcome! Car is a 2007 1.6HDi 110 with about 30k on the clock.

Cheers!

Q
Current:
57 207 Sport 1.6HDi 110 32k

Previous:
'96 Saxo 1.5D
'98 Xsara 1.9TD
'98 Clio 1.9D
citronut
My Cars:

Re: A ping and then a bang?!

Post by citronut »

hope its not the DMF :evil: :evil: :shock: :wink:

regards malcolm
Quidam

Post by Quidam »

Thanks for the prompt reply :)

I hadn't thought of that but I am aware that the DMF can be an issue. In a perverse kinda way I hope it is that because the extended warranty purchased at the point of sale lists this a component that is covered so if it goes now it'll save us the cost of repair we would face if it went in say 9 months time.

Is there a way the DMF can be identified as failing before it finally goes, so I can have the dealer look at it now rather then when it's lying dead somewhere?

Repairs aside I'm feeling the urge to dump this thing in favour of something japanese. We've had an issue on average every 3 months since we bought it and I find that quite unacceptable on a 4 year old motor (especially when our 11 year astra this replaced only had the head gasket go wrong in the four years we had it!).

Q
Current:

Previous:
'96 Saxo 1.5D
'98 Xsara 1.9TD
'98 Clio 1.9D
Quidam

Post by Quidam »

Turns out to be another rotten exhaust mount (the back box was replaced in January for the same reason).

What are these things made of - meccano?

Q
Current:

Previous:
'96 Saxo 1.5D
'98 Xsara 1.9TD
'98 Clio 1.9D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Quidam wrote: What are these things made of - meccano?
Nope. Time-expired French cheese...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Quidam

Post by Quidam »

CitroJim wrote:
Quidam wrote: What are these things made of - meccano?
Nope. Time-expired French cheese...
Lol
Current:

Previous:
'96 Saxo 1.5D
'98 Xsara 1.9TD
'98 Clio 1.9D
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think it depends on were you get you exhaust parts from,
also companys like BOSAL do two qualitys of exhaust 1 and 2 year warenty,

regards malcolm
Quidam

Post by Quidam »

On the subject of exhausts, can anyone confirm if what my dealer said is true concerning the use of an aftermarket system (i.e. non-peugeot, I assume they meant kwik fit and the like)...

I was told that they strongly advised against the fitting of generic exhaust parts as these can cause the dpf to fail shortly thereafter. Whilst I can see some logic to the argument surely something as simple as a steel tube can't make that much of a difference. Were they just trying to put the frightners on so I'd give them the work?

Q
Current:

Previous:
'96 Saxo 1.5D
'98 Xsara 1.9TD
'98 Clio 1.9D
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Really sounds like tripe to me, unless they are concerned about restrictions inside a cheap exhaust elevating temperatures at heavy load...