Xantia stop light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Danbuoy

Xantia stop light

Post by Danbuoy »

Hi, I have a 2000 Xantia HDI, and recently, the stop light has been coming on intermittantly. It usually happens if I pull away from a standstill a bit sharply, or, if I go over a severe bump, but is not on whilst driving at all. Today, it seems to be coming on when accelerating, no matter how carefully I do it. When it comes on, it is not flashing, but seems to be brighter the harder the acceleration, then fades and goes off. Is this just a loose connection, or could it be something else?
Current car: Mar 13 to present: 58 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+
Past cars: Sept 05 - Mar 13: X reg Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi LX - 160k and still apparently going strong!
Sept 03 - Sept 05: N reg Citroen ZX diesel RIP (died on A50 after an altercation with a Merc)
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Re: Xantia stop light

Post by Chris570 »

check the fluid level :)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Yup, get it idling on the highest height setting, pop the bonnet and check the lhm level.
The orange disc should be between the two red rings but it doesn't matter if it is above them both, just means you might spill the excess if you drive spiritly. :)
If you don't have a bottle of lhm to top up with dealers are normally cheaper than halfrauds for it.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Danbuoy

Post by Danbuoy »

Thanks for the replies guys! That is not something I would have thought of. The hydraulic light (the exclamation mark in a circle) has been coming on when the stop light does, but until I read through my hand book today, after reading your posts, I didn't realise that was what it was. I will try and check the level tonight. Only thing I'm a bit concerned about is I'm due to drive to Norfolk from Cheshire on Saturday, and then back again on Sunday, so I hope the car will be OK.
Past cars: Sept 05 - Mar 13: X reg Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi LX - 160k and still apparently going strong!
Sept 03 - Sept 05: N reg Citroen ZX diesel RIP (died on A50 after an altercation with a Merc)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If you find the LHM level low, do also check all over for leaks. Most will be given away by a pool of LHM under the car...

LHM is not normally consumed so if it's really down a leak has to be suspect although over time as the spheres naturally loose pressure some LHM will appear to be lost in the spheres.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Danbuoy

Post by Danbuoy »

Yep, level is low, and low and behold I noticed a puddle just by the right rear wheel. Stop light came on when I put the suspension in high ride too, then went off when the car lowered down again. Seems pretty diagnostic. A phone call to the garage beckons! Any idea how much it might cost????
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Before you panic, it could just be one of the return lines has popped off.
Get the car on high, put axle stands under the rear jacking points, put the car on low and be amazed as it's back lifts up giving you plenty of space to get under and investigate.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool