radio code knackered rds 3030

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

redzzed
My Cars:

radio code knackered rds 3030

Post by redzzed »

Xantia S1 radio code is now showing -- -- -- -- after a battery recharge . I do have the code but the first character of the lcd is unclear and i didnt realize that it went first to '0' when entering the code , so i have entered the wrong code several times.
It has been like this now for a week , and today i disconnected the negative term and reconnected but still unable to get a 'code' prompt .
like i say , i do have the code , is there any way out pls ?

thx
Last edited by redzzed on 24 Mar 2012, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
current : 1997 xantia 1.9 td sx a/c
previous cars :
1997 zx memphis td
1996 zx volcane td
1994 zx volcane td
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: radio code knackered

Post by red_dwarfers »

The only real way is to leave the radio switched on at that screen for a good period of time, leave it overnight and maybe the next day if it hasn't cleared. Make sure you get it right though or the time will keep increasing, I'm not sure if there is a limit.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

IIRC you need to press the "AF" button to bring up the code entering option, do you have the radio handbook? If not I'll dig out mine and check.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
redzzed
My Cars:

Post by redzzed »

Thx for the replies , am reluctant to leave ignition on , might do some damage and also 'that's where i came in ..'
since i have never had a problem with the battery before and seem to have flattened it jump starting another 2 litre car
a few times , and that's how the radio code problem arose .

I do have the handbook and will have a look when i get home (i'm away) .Unfortunately i have no long trips
on the horizon , most will be 45 mins trip on friday .

dave
previous cars :
1997 zx memphis td
1996 zx volcane td
1994 zx volcane td
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Ah, you don't need to leave the ignition on. If the radio won't fire up without it, there is a shunt in the fusebox which needs to be shifted. I can't remember if its obvious though I do know its detailed in the handbook.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

red_dwarfers wrote:Ah, you don't need to leave the ignition on. If the radio won't fire up without it, there is a shunt in the fusebox which needs to be shifted. I can't remember if its obvious though I do know its detailed in the handbook.
Good thinking Kev :-D

It's the 10 amp and 20 amp fuses at the top and bottom of the fuse box you have to move to their alternate positions. Can't recall which now as one does the lighter and the other the wireless. A bit of suck it and see will determine which is which. leave the shunt (SH) as-is.

The picture shows the fuses in question with the 20A fuse in the alternate position...

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
redzzed
My Cars:

Post by redzzed »

Hmm , thx again for the replies , carefully does it 'cos i am a bit hamfisted and accident prone at the mo. Dropped the 10 mm spanner down the back of the battery and it's stuck there and banged my head today on a metal overhead pipe which i didnt see 'cos a woolen hat keeps slipping over me eyes .

have found the radio booklet , mine is a 3030 radio and it says that if the code has 'gone' , to leave the radio on for an hour
and the option should re appear . have tried the 'AF' button today with no luck .
Am driving home tomorrow and will plan the trip so that it lasts a bit more than an hour in a single run .
My code is 6713 , unfortunately the lcd characters are part missing and i cant really see what i am typing in fields 1 + 2 .

previously i didnt realize that u have to press '6' on this radio after entering the code.
presume that all fields start with a ZERO after the first button press ?? anyone . #-o
previous cars :
1997 zx memphis td
1996 zx volcane td
1994 zx volcane td
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

redzzed wrote:presume that all fields start with a ZERO after the first button press ?? anyone . #-o
Yes I'm pretty sure that's the case.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
redzzed
My Cars:

Post by redzzed »

All sorted thx , tho not without a few obstacles.
I turned the radio on when i started my trip yesterday and after about 30 mins the 'code' sign appeared .
Or i should say '| ode' appeared 'cos the 1st character of the lcd is duff .

when i entered the code and pressed '6' it went back to -- -- -- -- again , and stayed like that for 40 mins .
It's pretty hard to make sure that the right code number is showing , so i tried again very slowly when i got home
and again it went to -- -- -- -- .
I then rigged the fuses as suggested , actually only moved the 10 amp which was at the top , the radio lit up , with the ignition off .
About an hour later i went out and tried again carefully , pressing the 1st code number 7 times for 6 (1st character is 0 )
and with the next 3 numbers i could see on the display what was being entered , and they DID NOT start at zero .

This time it worked ,mine is a 3030 RDS radio , so anyone searching on this in the future can know that the 1st CHARACTER (1)
that it goes to is ZERO , after that the others start at ONE , and the radio locks after about 4 failed attempts and then will present the CODE option again about 30 mins after being switched on , if that fails too , it will present the code option after about 40 mins..and on and on .

thx guys .
previous cars :
1997 zx memphis td
1996 zx volcane td
1994 zx volcane td