Should a Xantia sink? Is so should it be level?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ashy90

Should a Xantia sink? Is so should it be level?

Post by ashy90 »

What is the normal behaviour of a Xantia when the engine is switched off? I.E. Should anything happen straight away? Should anything happen when left, overnight for example?

I believe post 1994 Xantia are 'anti sinkers' - so shouldnt sink when switched off? However my inlaws have a 1998 model which the rear end of the car is currantly down low, very low. The front end is I would say fairly normal height.

Also, I noticed on my 1998 1.9 td that I owned breifly, although it diddnt drop really low, the back did rise upon start up?
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Re: Should a Xantia sink? Is so should it be level?

Post by Timmo »

i'd be tempted to say the rear anti sink sphere may need changing??

my '98 td was sinking on the front, changed accy sphere and new fluid but still sinks down, guess corner ones could do with checking but not too bothered at the mo!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

The anti sink sphere is a slightly inaccurate name, really it should be a rear brake accumulator as that's its main job. It does also help in the closing of the rear anti sink valve by putting a bit of pressure behind it. If you don't know the condition of the anti sink sphere, the sure fire way is to get it pressure tested or replaced. There is this test, but if we're not sure that the valve is closing, I'm not sure how much help it would be as pressure could be got from the rest of the system.

Anti sinkers should stay up for weeks at a time but age and car personalities usually dictate otherwise!
Mine has been sinking at the front after a few hours for a good couple of years now.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

As Kev says, the anti-sink sphere is a rear brake accumulator, called anti-sink because it was fitted to cars with anti-sink.
The rear suspension spheres supply the main pressure to close the anti-sink valve. Think of it as a shuttle valve, when the pump is running the pressure on the pump side of the valve is enough to open it and pressurise the suspension.
When the pump stops, the pressure on the sphere side closes the valve.
If there's not enough pressure the valve won't close properly and that end of the car sinks.
Most likely the rear corner spheres need replacing.
Worst case is one of the rear struts has a bad internal leak (they're designed to leak internally a bit to keep the rear pistons lubricated) so pressure is bleeding away.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

That makes sense! Thankyou for the enlightenment! :-)
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

What about a busted "dogbone"?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Xaccers »

addo wrote:What about a busted "dogbone"?

Ah yes, just re-read the first post!
Ashy, does the rear rise up when the engine is running or is it always low?

If it's always low at the back, then the rear height linkages are probably seized and have popped off the dogbone (white plastic link with ball cups on each end) which connects to the anti roll bar.
Use the manual height setting in the cabin to raise the car up to full height, put axle stands under the rear jacking points, set the car on low and let the front drop down.
Stop the engine, put the height lever back to normal (thickest line).
You should now be able to safely get under the back of the car to check.
If the dog bone has just popped off, you'll need to free up the linkages with plenty of plus gas and then lube.
You may be OK just popping the dog bone back on (there's a metal clip which looks like a bent paperclip which goes on the ARB end of the dogbone) or it may have cracked/worn making it likely to pop off again. They're only a couple of quid from the dealer.
Worst case, the metal bar that the dogbone pops onto has snapped, again not an expensive repair but with the added fun of having to set the rear height when you've replaced the part.

DIY sphere tool
ashy90

Post by ashy90 »

The front end is now very low. I dont know if it was to start off with, and perhaps I diddnt noticed, all I know is now the entire car is on its knees, lower at the back though.

I believe it is stuck in this position. Its looking like major fluid loss or perhaps the plastic clip on the height corrector, would everyone/people agree? Have not actually looked at it, but I will do.
ashy90

Re: Re:

Post by ashy90 »

Xac wrote:
addo wrote:What about a busted "dogbone"?

Ah yes, just re-read the first post!
Ashy, does the rear rise up when the engine is running or is it always low?

If it's always low at the back, then the rear height linkages are probably seized and have popped off the dogbone (white plastic link with ball cups on each end) which connects to the anti roll bar.
Use the manual height setting in the cabin to raise the car up to full height, put axle stands under the rear jacking points, set the car on low and let the front drop down.
If that plastic linkage clip has popped off or broken, will the car still respond to the manual height lever in the cabin? If not then I guess will just have to jack it up normally?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Re:

Post by Xaccers »

ashy90 wrote: If that plastic linkage clip has popped off or broken, will the car still respond to the manual height lever in the cabin? If not then I guess will just have to jack it up normally?
Yes.
There are two linkages at 90 degrees to each other.
The vertical one is connected to the manual controller between the seats, and the horizontal one connects to the clamp on the anti roll bar via the plastic dogbone.

DIY sphere tool