2.0HDi starting problems.. HELP!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kersley

2.0HDi starting problems.. HELP!!!

Post by kersley »

Hi all.
I'm so glad i found this forum and hope that some can help me sort out this fuel problem?
The problem is on my 2.0hdi Citroen relay 2002 van. I think it is the same engine as in the Peugeot Boxer and Fiat Ducato.

The van will not start from the key unless I spray easi start in the air intake pipe. Once it has started, i have to keep the revs above 10000 or it will cut out.
I then have to do the whole process again. I been told by a few people on the net ,that it could be the high pressure diesel pump.

I'm hoping this information is true because i just bought a used recondition unit from EBay. I plan to fit this very soon.
I have started doing the work. so far I have manage to get off all the plastic that covers the belt. slightly loosen the 3 bolts on the pump.
I now need to loosen the belt which wraps around the pump.The big question? do i have to keep everything in line?

How do I loosen the tension er to get the belt off?
So far i have changed the glow plugs.. glow plugs relay.. fuel filter.. checked all fuse.. checked that fuel is reaching the engine.

Your help is much appreciated..
Thanking you all
woodywoodpecker

Re: 2.0HDi starting problems.. HELP!!!

Post by woodywoodpecker »

kersley wrote:Hi all.
I'm so glad i found this forum and hope that some can help me sort out this fuel problem?
The problem is on my 2.0hdi Citroën relay 2002 van. I think it is the same engine as in the Peugeot Boxer and Fiat Ducato.

The van will not start from the key unless I spray easi start in the air intake pipe. Once it has started, i have to keep the revs above 10000 or it will cut out.
I then have to do the whole process again. I been told by a few people on the net ,that it could be the high pressure diesel pump.

I'm hoping this information is true because i just bought a used recondition unit from EBay. I plan to fit this very soon.
I have started doing the work. so far I have manage to get off all the plastic that covers the belt. slightly loosen the 3 bolts on the pump.
I now need to loosen the belt which wraps around the pump.The big question? do i have to keep everything in line?

How do I loosen the tension er to get the belt off?
So far i have changed the glow plugs.. glow plugs relay.. fuel filter.. checked all fuse.. checked that fuel is reaching the engine.

Your help is much appreciated..
Thanking you all

Hi mate the camshaft and crankshaft both need to be locked befor you remove the timing belt, the pump does not need to timed up. You really should have locked cam and crank by inserting timing pins or drill bits if you don't have the proper pins. At least get yourself an haynes manual and follow it otherwise you will be looking at megga money to put the engine right after its smashed the valves up if you don't get the timing spot on when you refit the belt.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

This is the exact same problem i had on a few 2.0hdi pugs now, high pressure pump dead and would only start on diesel drugs, once above idle it would run but with reduced power, you will need to pin the crank and cam but the pump is not timed at all.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Have a look at this :-
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 11&t=33939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
kersley

Post by kersley »

Thank you all for your help. I hope tomorrow is a nice sunny day, as I intend to spend the whole day getting this work done.
I would be happy to pay someone to do this work, but finding a good honest mechanic is not as easy i one would imagine.
Do any of you guys know any decent mobile mechanic around the south London area?
Please correct me? there are 2 belts.. the lower belt been wrapped around the alternator and the other belt wraps around the high pressure pump ?
looking at the engine, to my left I can see 2 belts side by side.Surely this couldn't be one continuous belt, as this wouldn't run in line?

I'm just making sure we are all on the same page before i take this task on. How do I loosen the tensioner to ease the belt off?
ps. Did I mentioned that i'm very nervous? :(
Thanks again..
K
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

That must be a difference on the van compared to the car version. To release tension on the serpentine belt (as it's known) on the car version, a spanner is used on the pulley centre pivot bolt and pushed towards the bulkhead. This moves the tensioner pulley away from the belt, which can then be slipped off a driven pulley. Make sure you note how the belt runs around the various pulley's so that it can be re-fitted correctly.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
kersley

Post by kersley »

Thank you for that mate..
I can confirm that there's two belts one at the bottom and the other on top. it is the top one which has to be loosened. Well the pump hasn't arrived yet.
So i'll have another day to think about it.
Thanks again guys.. Any more advice is deeply appreciated..
kersley

Post by kersley »

Hi Guys..
I manage to fit the new diesel high pressure pump. I also changed the starter motor.
The van still won't start on the key. it will only start if i spray easy start in the air intake.
Once it had started it would idle just under 10000 rev and it sounds and feels normal. But taking her round the block a few times, she feels sluggish. not much power.
Also I have a red engine light on the dash. does anyone know what this light is? what does it mean?
My hair is falling out at a rapid rate. I would be completely bad by the end of the week. I really need to sort this out.
Please . any help is appreciated..
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Sounds like the engine management light, which means a fault has been recorded. Trying to resolve a problem like this at a distance is like shooting in the dark. There are various things it could be on a common rail engine like the HDi. I can suggest the TPS, throttle position sensor. Thats the item the throttle pedal cable connects to and sends the position of the accelerator pedal to the engine ECU. Mine is intermittent and has caused failure to start, tapping it and fiddling with the wiring connector normally revives it !
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

a RED light shouldnt be engine management as that is normally orange, but, my knowledge of vans is somewhat limited, can you describe what the symbol looks like.

But as HDI has said, you're best to get it on a lexia really
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
kersley

Post by kersley »

Thanks Chris and HDI.
It is the red engine symbol. it will stay on and not go out. I will mess about with the throttle thingy that is attach to the pedal and see what happens.
can a ecu be reset? how would I go about doing this?
Thanks
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

If you mean reset to remove fault codes then yes but it can only be done with a Lexia.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
kersley

Post by kersley »

I take it the Lexia is done at a citroen main dealer? How much would i be expecting to pay to have this done?
I have been thinking. When I replaced the high pressure diesel pump. I had to loosen the belt tension er. remove the old pump.
Is it possible that i re fitted the belt 1 or 2 tooth wrong? would the van still run if i done this wrong? I did mark the belt with paint so that it would fit as before.
but i can't be 100% sure that at the bottom the belt didn't move. Surely if i fitted the belt wrong. the van wouldn't drive, would it?
Or could the red engine light indicate limp mode? the red engine light is the same as the orange light, but in red..
Thanks again..
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If you are anywhere near one of our members that own a Lexia and offer diagnostics to other members, usually for a small consideration, then there is no need for a dealer to read and reset fault codes.

There is a list and a map of their locations here.
kersley

Post by kersley »

Thank you myglaren...

I live in SE London. Looking at your map, there don't seem to be anyone within my reach.I kinda worked out h20cooler would be the easy to get to.
Half hour drive on the motorway would take me to him/her. BUT do I dare drive on the motorway with my engine light on?
I feel a bit stupid for asking this, but could I take out the ECU and get it to them or does it have to be connected to the van to do this operation?

thanks again.