Xantia Non Starter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichG
My Cars:

Xantia Non Starter

Post by RichG »

A friend of mine with a T reg (facelift) 1.9 TD Hatchback has just rung me for advice.
He is fitting a towbar to his car and has been trying, with a multimeter connected to earth, to find which wires in the boot to connect to the electrics. He has not connected any of the towbar electrics yet. He says that he has re-assembled things back together but has the following problems,
1) Reversing lights do not work
2) Fans run all the time the ignition is turned on
3) Starter motor turns but car will not start. The glowplug light works correctly.
Any Ideas?
Thanks
Richard Green
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

He needs to check all the fuses are intact, then retrace his steps and make sure it is back together as it was.
If it still wont start, dissconnect all the cables he's been playing with and try to start it again.
If still no, disconnect the battery (observing radio codes and the like) and wait for ten minutes and try again.
This model will have the transponder key and its electrical system is probably very sensetive to being messed with regarding this, doubt if multiplex found its way to the later xantia but not sure, anyone.
Dave
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

No xantias were multiplexed.I'd also go with checking the fuses first,could have been easily blown a fuse messing about with the wiring,especialy since the rev lights dont work now & the meters been used at the lights.
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

Problem Solved!
The fuse for the reversing lights had blown (my friend says that according to the Haynes manual that I lent him this also has somthing to do with the diagnostics as well!). He replaced the fuse, disconected the battery as suggested and the car started. Unfortunately he does not have the code for the radio so he will have to grovel to the Citroen Agents.
Thanks for the help.
Richard Green