Gearbox Oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Guru Meditation

Gearbox Oil

Post by Guru Meditation »

Guys I need to replace the transmission oil in my ZX td any recommendations? Also I would like to make the shift a little less notchy, I would never put an additive such as ptfe etc in my engine, but have heard certain additives can be beneficial in the gearbox or perhaps a thinner oil?
Cheers
Guru Meditation
Jon

Post by Jon »

2 litres of Total Transmission BV (New Formula)is what I, Citroen, and your Doctor would recommend.
Don't know about additives.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I have used a product called Nulon G-70 but that's an Aussie made product & I don't know if you guys get it over there, however, I don't know that there's all that much difference in these things.
Engine additives have a long dodgy history & a string of legal cases that have gone against them, hence I won't use them either, however, I've yet to hear a bad word against gearbox additives.
Redline & Slick 50 possibly would be available there & worthy of a try. In my case, I've used the Nulon in 2 BX 16Vs a TZi and a Mitsubishi Lancer & in each case it's made a marked improvement in smoothness of changes, speed of changes & has reduced the usual little whines & growls so common to gearboxes. I can't speak for your ZX but in the case of our cars, all bar one of the 16Vs had from 900 mls down to 300 mls of oil in the gearbox when drained instead of the 2 litres they are supposed to have. The one with the correct amount in was a car that the owner was a DIY which says heaps about so called "professional service" in some places.
Alan S
Jon

Post by Jon »

I forgot to mention, also check the 3 gear selector rods on top of the gearbox if its notchy. One of them, ( I think the middle one) wears badly on the ZX D/TD. I didn't know this until one day I "enthusiastically" changed from 1st to 2nd and it popped off! Fitting a new one made the change a whole lot nicer.
The part number in question for the TD is 245275 at Citroen, not that expensive.
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

Cheers for the info guys I think an oil change and a new selector rod is in order-thanks for getting the part number as well-do you go to the trouble of looking these up or do you just have encyclopedic knowledge of part numbers :-D
Jon

Post by Jon »

I had no problem with that part number, I keep a spare in the boot!!!!
mijyou
My Cars:

Post by mijyou »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

I forgot to mention, also check the 3 gear selector rods on top of the gearbox if its notchy. One of them, ( I think the middle one) wears badly on the ZX D/TD. I didn't know this until one day I "enthusiastically" changed from 1st to 2nd and it popped off! Fitting a new one made the change a whole lot nicer.
The part number in question for the TD is 245275 at Citroen, not that expensive.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I dont suppose you know the part number for the smaller one below this, it looks the same, one end rubber and the other end metal but about 4" long.
Due to my working hours i have trouble getting to a dealership, if i had the number i could mail order it.
Thanks Jim