Xantia 2000 year model, AL4 Problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TAJ
My Cars:

Xantia 2000 year model, AL4 Problems

Post by TAJ »

Hello gentlemen,

I have a Xantia 2000 year model, 2.0L Petrol with AL4 and have following problems:
1. S and Snow marks flashing at the same time during warning up the engine (shift position is in P). This occurs only sometimes and disappears after restart the engine. So far this error never occurred while the car is moving.
2. Sometimes lock up doesn’t work from the beginning of driving. And sometimes it works properly at the beginning but suddenly starts slip at all gears. Once this occurs AL4 never lock up any gears. This error, so far, disappears after restarting the engine.
3. AL4 normally jerks when it changes the gear to 2nd unlock from 1st unlock. Other changes including shift downs are smooth for the moment.
4. As long as lock up is working, my AL4 shifts up like this: 1st unlock, 2nd unlock, 2nd lock up, 3rd lock up, 4th unlock, 4th lock up. 3rd is always ALREADY locked up and drop of rpm is the biggest in the gears. 4th lock up always comes just after 4th unlock is engaged. Normally half a second later (maybe engine load is too small to keep 4th unlock). When lock up doesn’t work or S and Snow marks are flashing, I confirmed that AL4 used 3rd unlock.

This 12-year-old Xantia is my first Citroen and first French car and the oldest car I ever had and the most comfortable car I ever had. High Way Fuel Consumption rate is still competitive with the latest cars. Reliability of AL4 is bit lower than other gear boxes but I think the design philosophy of AL4 is still great. This is one of great cars, I think!

I just bought the car one month ago from one of experienced old Citroen dealer in Japan (not official distributor). My AL4 was overhauled by Citroen and has been fitted properly by the dealer. The dealer restores DS, SM, CX, XM, BX, GSA etc and of course Xantia and has a lot of experience of replacing gear boxes. So I am assuming that the malfunctions of my AL4 are not because of their fault during replacement. May be some of auxiliary parts need to be replaced with new or some kind of computer re-configuration is required.

My Xantia is now at their workshop for troubleshooting. To fix the problems effectively, I need your knowledge and experiences.

Please help. [-o<
charentejohn
My Cars:

Re: Xantia 2000 year model, AL4 Problems

Post by charentejohn »

I have been asking about this gearbox model (AL4) in general, it is fitted to most French cars it seems. The link is here, gearbox discussion towards the end http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=38660" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You will see we have had problems on a Renault and are considering a car with this gearbox and are trying to decide what to do.

It seems the AL4 gearbox had problems with solenoids which was not corrected until 2003, so may need new ones fitted. Also software could need upgrading ? There are links explaining this in the thread, best one is here http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/ws ... lenoid.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am sure others may have more info as it could be electronics problem but one of the solenoids controls lock up so that may be it.
If you print off the Peugeotlogic pages and show them to your garage it could guide them in the right direction ?
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
TAJ
My Cars:

Post by TAJ »

Hi charentejohn,

Thank you for your advice and the links. :-D
I understand that replacement of the two solenoid valves and ECU update to use the new valves will solve the problem of S and snow marks flashing & drive with only 3rd gear as my AL4 was overhauled recently and was fitted by experienced dealer so the remaining possibility causes are the solenoid valves and ECU software version. And also, as you said, the malfunction of never lock up may be solved as well.

While lock up is functioning, my AL4 uses always 3rd gear with lock up, never uses unlock. When I drive downhill, this is not a problem but uphill. Speed reduces due to less torque but never unlock at 3rd. So the speed reduces even throttle is wider open. And kick down to 2nd unlock and accelerate with high rpm. If 3rd unlock is available, no need to kick down to 2nd.
I visited the link at the bottom in your previous gearbox discussion and I realized that there were many sequential valves. Do you know which valve does what?
I'm assuming that some of the sequential valves' malfunction is causing 3rd gear always lock up.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

I believe you should replace the two valves in the 'Peugeotlogic' document, may as well change both as the main cost / problem is dismantling the gearbox to do it.

I have never done this or had it done but I am looking for a car which (because of the age of the car I will probably be buying) will have these valves. So I will need to change them, especially if I could end up with the same problems as you have.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
TAJ
My Cars:

Post by TAJ »

Hi charentejohn,

You are right.
Do one by one. First replace the valves and see what happens. May be those two valves are causing all problems as you said.
Will talk to the dealer.

Thanks, :-D