Xantia 1.9d gearbox oil question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mirafioriman

Xantia 1.9d gearbox oil question

Post by mirafioriman »

Now the stoplight issue is hopefully sorted :P one other job I want to do is change the gearbox oil.

What do members here recommend and are there any things to be aware of?

The car is a 1994 1.9d 5 speed manual.
Former Proud owner of a 1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9d and BX 19RD

Now driving an Alfa 159 but god I miss the Xantia!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia 1.9d gearbox oil question

Post by CitroJim »

Use only 75W/80 oil specifically recommended for Peugeot/Citroen gearboxes.

Good ones are made by Valvoline, Comma and the native one TotalBV. Comma and Valvoline state their suitability for such 'boxes

Use nothing else. The wrong oil can cause a stiff gear change when cold and potentially damage the synchromesh cones which in the BE3 are a tad delicate when subject to abuse...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Thanks.

My local motor factors sell Comma oils so that should be ok then. How much will I need?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mirafioriman wrote: How much will I need?
1.7 Litres on a BE3...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Thanks again, 2 litres it is then. Might get it done this Friday :)

mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Got as far as buying the oil today :wink:

Did get a bit of work done, adjusted the ride height and had a look at the rear height corrector linkage. It was indeed seized. Got it freed off a bit although ideally it needs removed and freed off properly.

Also bled the brakes. Suprisingly the LHM that came out wasn't too bad but it's changed now. I bled all four and had to add about 1/2 a litre of LHM (the level was slightly high before I started too) so they had a good flush through.

Now the rear rises to full height I could set the LHM level properly :lol: and now it's bang on the maximum :)

Sometimes it won't come down from high though without a bit of persuasion :roll: I soaked everything in WD40 perhaps it will free off in time, if not I guess I'll have to remove it :P

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good work :)
mirafioriman wrote: Sometimes it won't come down from high though without a bit of persuasion :roll: I soaked everything in WD40 perhaps it will free off in time, if not I guess I'll have to remove it :P
As Tom Jones would say, it's not unusual :)

I often find I have to help mine down, especially the Activa. It's just because there's not enough weight at the back to start off proceedings. So long as it comes down when you sit on the tailgate sill then nothing to worry about...
Jim