Oil

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

Oil

Post by OwenP »

I've just moved my car so that Dad can take his out, when moving mine back it has come up telling me no oil! I'm hoping that this is just a result of it being at a funny angle on the road (drivers side down compared to passenger side). On looking at the dipstick (when back on flat ground) that also seems abnormally low, c.f. where it should be from previous experience. I only have 10w/40 part synthetic oil which was bought for my 405 1.9td, would this be ok to use in the 406 2.0 HDi?

Secondly if it is losing oil it means it is burning it (no obvious drips or puddles) and has only started tonight, what colour smoke should I look out for? Would I be right in thinking black?

Thirdly, will the computer tell me if the oil runs too low whilst the engine is running, or does it only check when first turned on?

I'm hoping this will all be academic as it will sort itself once it has been sat on the level for a little while, but as I have to drive 20 miles to work in the morning I just want to check.

Cheers in advance.

Car is a 51 plate 406 2.0 HDi 90, with 02 or 52 plate wiring apparently.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Oil

Post by myglaren »

Oil should be 5W30 - 10W40 synthetic depending on geographic location.
Your 10W40 should be OK for a top-up, better than no oil, or insufficient.
At least until you establish the cause, then change the oil.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Owen,

If it's the same oil level sensor as in the Xantia HDi then it'll be just crying wolf. Mine does on regular random occasions...

Use the dipstick and if all Ok blame the sensor. Some newer synthetic or semi-synthetic oils do play havoc wit the sensor.

The signs of high oil consumption by burning is blue smoke and a horrible smell to it.

No, the sensor is only active at initial ignition on and goes to sleep after 30 seconds...

It only takes a minute to dip and to be 100% confident that's what I'd do before setting off for work...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

That oil will be fine for the 2.0 hdi, but don't put too much in. You could be tricked by the electronic guage, as they are very sensitive.
Put it on the level and check with the stick after about 5 mins sitting still.
If its over the minimum I wouldn't panic.All engines use a bit, so dont stress if its only 1/2 a litre, just monitor it over a day or two for hugh usage, 1st port of call would be the turbo, but this is rare on that car.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Thanks for the quick replies all.

I think it is the electronic sensor making me paranoid. I have just been out to check it again. Sensor now shows one blob under full, and the dipstick is showing 1/2 to 3/4 full (was only showing about 1/4 earlier.) As it is due for a service in about 2000 miles I can cope with it having lost half a dipsticks worth since the last service. I will check it again in the morning before I leave for work though, as by then the engine will be properly cold and everything should hopefully be where it is supposed to be. (It is still warm enough to notice when you open the bonnet 2 hours after getting home.)

Thanks again.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes, its not unknown for the sensor to be a bit pessimistic. Sometimes when our 110 HDi is parked at the road side, it warns me of low oil level as the car is lent into the gutter. I just ignore it as I know it has plenty in as I check the oil levels regularily. Dont rely on the digital readouts, they lie! Though this warning only happens when the car is coming up for a service as the oil is dirtier.

I do feel a bit sorry for the people with no dipsticks ... in such cars as a BMW X6, though they only have themselves to blame for buying such a horrid car :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

OwenP wrote:I've just moved my car so that Dad can take his out, when moving mine back it has come up telling me no oil! I'm hoping that this is just a result of it being at a funny angle on the road (drivers side down compared to passenger side). On looking at the dipstick (when back on flat ground) that also seems abnormally low, c.f. where it should be from previous experience. I only have 10w/40 part synthetic oil which was bought for my 405 1.9td, would this be ok to use in the 406 2.0 HDi?

Secondly if it is losing oil it means it is burning it (no obvious drips or puddles) and has only started tonight, what colour smoke should I look out for? Would I be right in thinking black?

Thirdly, will the computer tell me if the oil runs too low whilst the engine is running, or does it only check when first turned on?

I'm hoping this will all be academic as it will sort itself once it has been sat on the level for a little while, but as I have to drive 20 miles to work in the morning I just want to check.

Cheers in advance.

Car is a 51 plate 406 2.0 HDi 90, with 02 or 52 plate wiring apparently.
From previous experience with Xantias and XMs, the oil level gauges are , erm, crap. Never rely on it, just use the dipstick instead. All it will do is make you paranoid and worry :-)
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Activa_Mike wrote:
From previous experience with Xantias and XMs, the oil level gauges are , erm, crap. Never rely on it, just use the dipstick instead. All it will do is make you paranoid and worry :-)
Paranoid is right! Doesn't help that since I bought the car 3 years ago it has only done around 20 miles a week with the odd long journey, now I'm doing 200 miles a week, so I'm slightly cautious as to any error/warning that crops up. I don't tend to rely on the oil sensor, but it did concern me when it suddenly said "NO OIL."

I'm off out to check it again now before I go to work, but hopefully it will be ok the same as late last night.