xantia v6 hp pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dowen

xantia v6 hp pump

Post by dowen »

Hi, I recieved the new hp pump from Pleiades, fitting was easy enough, it`s been a nice day, and it`s good to be able to do things again.
Anyway, after ten mins of running it still has`nt preasured up, I primed the intake pipe! So I`m at aloss for the moment.I will try to-morrow with more LHM down the pipe.

Also, the steering has no preasure! Should I jack the car up and lock to lock to prime?

Regards, Dave
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: Xantia v6 hp pump

Post by Lighty »

worth a try, sometimes switching it on and of a few times will do the trick.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dave, have both sides or only one side failed to prime? Do yu have suspension but no PAS or PAS but no suspension?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dowen

Post by dowen »

Nothing has primed, no PAS, after about ten mins, I`ll try to-morrow with more LHM down the pipe. Theres no leaks, belts tight, and yes, I removed the bungs out of the new pump!!

How long should it take?

Regs, Dave
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

dowen wrote:How long should it take?
Not long at all Dave, given the suction pipe is full of LHM.

I've changed too many V6 pumps now and I've never known them take more than a few seconds to be honest...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Yes but you will still have to open and close the 12mm valve underneath?
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
dowen

Post by dowen »

This morning suspension finally rose as it should! So no problems there. But, no PAS, or very little, Ive lock to lock about 100 times, I can feel it trying and a pulsating through the steering wheel, and at the same time the revs increase. I took it for a 5mile run, hoping it would clear, I cant believe we all used to drive cars with no power steering!
Its not Martin`s pump, I had the same problem when I removed the old one to re-ring. That cleared itself after a few mins.
I spoke to martin he mentioned the reg in the wheel arch, but said they rarley go wrong!
I phoned the MOT and they said it`s a fail. It was due yesterday!

Any ideas?

Regards, Dave.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Dave, the regulator Martin mentions is on the inside of the N/S Chassis leg. Follow the rubber part of the PAS pipe to the leg and look for a brass thing with a blue electrical connector attached. The switch on the regulator sends a signal to the ECU to up the idle when on hard lock and the system is working hard.

If this problem was pre-existing then the most likely problem is the pinion valve. I would tend to agree with Martin that the regulator is likely to be a reliable piece of kit but cannot be ruled out.

A quick test of the regulator would be to pull off its return line and see how much LHM is flowing from it - this pipe is accessible by the battery tray where the rubber part of it tees into the metal return pipe. A very big, constant flow here would suggest the regulator is faulty whereas no flow at all either suggests it or the pinion valve is faulty. An even quicker test is to look into the LHM reservoir and see if there is a lot of return flow from the steering gear generally causing the LHM in the reservoir to froth and be very agitated. A steady flow of LHM in the reservoir is normal. If no flow at all then it'll be the pump.
Jim

dowen

Post by dowen »

Thanks Jim, I`ll check this out in the morning. The last thing I want to do is take the rack off. I changed the rack on a C5 v6, a week later the gearbox gave up, so it went for scrap!
It`s a lovely car, and I love driving it! It would make a really nice garden feature, with Ivy, roses and tits nesting, maybe a water feature!
Let you know to-morrow.

Regards, Dave.
dowen

Post by dowen »

There's a good flow return back into the tank, as you say pump is fine, so what you think Jim ,pinon valve? Where can I get one?
I suppose I need to drop sub-frame same as C5? I've got an old C5 rack, would the valve be the same? I only scrapped it cos it was leaking!

I decided to resurrect my 98 XM, Its been sitting for about three months Its in really nice condition, but needed a front height control, so I had a go at that, and for the life of me couldn't undo one of the lines, so i`ll need to cut it and get a new pipe.
Now whats this all about? after ten mins, only with the engine running, and 30sec after fan kicks in, do the wipers, front and rear, and the blower, come on all by themselves?? How can three separate circuits come live?

It`s not been a good day!

Regards, Dave
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Dave, on the Xantia the pinion valve can be done in-situ without removing the rack. It's a bit fiddly mind you but it can be done without dropping the subframe...

Young Martin will supply an exchange pinion valve.

Sounds like your XM has been sulking... Sounds like a good electrical gremlin that one. I've no XM circuits. have you tried Club-XM.co.uk for some advice?
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

If xmexclusive can't help I have the schematics for a '97 605. Should be very similar.
dowen

Post by dowen »

Well Jim I did a 20 mile drive this morning, started off with zero PAS, but slowly it seems to be coming back! I've got 75%. Could it be healing itself? Like Christine!
Jim what exactly is the pinion valve? Is it the whole pinion assembly removed from the body of the rack, and how do I go about it, through the wheel arch or from inside the car?
Thanks Addo , what I shall do is find the relay feeds, blower, front wiper, and put a switch on em, bit lazy but I cant get myself bogged down .

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Dave.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Dave, the pinion valve is the lump on the steering rack to which the steering column connects. It has four pipes attached: the feed from the HP Pump and regulator, the functional return and two pipes going of to the ram.

It's covered by a tin heat shield.

It's removed by pushing the heat shield out of the way, disconnecting all four pipes, disconnecting and pulling up the steering column UJ, undoing two bolts and pulling it out.

It's a fiddly job to get it out and even fiddlier to get it back in, the refitting needing some particular knack :twisted:

It's so fiddly that it's really the last job you want to do. I'd respectfully suggest a trip to see Martin would be beneficial so that he can test the pump (yes I know..) and the regulator before condemning the pinion valve. Really the valve is the last thing you want to change and it would be a right peever if you changed it and it wasn't that.

I think I might have a spare regulator here you could borrow to prove that is OK. It's not too hard to swap over...
Jim

dowen

Post by dowen »

Jim. you've scared me now !let me tell you what Ive done:
1 Removed pump(leaking) replaced 8 "o" rings, steering fine sus fine. but still leaking!
2 removed pump again (getting quicker at it now!) lock-lite all threads, steering took a few miles to come in sus fine. still leaking!
3 removed pump(blindfold) replaced large "o" ring 32mm? cured leak!! don't know about sus and steering, because at that moment Martins pump arrived.
4 Removed pump (just like a blur) and fitted new pump.
I had a devil of a job priming had to fill pipe several times before sus would come up.
So now Ive got no steering, it partially comes in when it warms up, there's a good flow back into tank, and a sort of gurgling sound,(like a kid sucking through a straw),very quietly
I'm going to have to SORN it till its sorted, as its bloody hard work driving!
There's a rack :http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280778721290? ... 1423.l2649 with no ram.but presumably a pinion valve I didn't know it had a separate ram! the C5 didn't!
Jim can I take you up on your offer and borrow you pressure regulator. where are you? I'm in Halesowen just south of Birmingham.
If I can eliminate that. Ill then send pump back to Martin, for test. Its too far and dangerous for me to drive down.
I really appreciate your help, you've sorted e few things with this car, and I'm in your debt!

Regards Dave.