AX spedo cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andygaskell
My Cars:

AX spedo cable

Post by andygaskell »

Hi All
Was fixing a couple of bulbs in the dash of my AX and put it all back together, quite chuffed with my work. So drove off the next day, and the speedo 's not working [V].
Took it all to bits, an noticed the blue connector that covers the back of the spedo connector is broken, and i can pull the cable all the way out of it's sleeve. gonna have another look at it, but if anyone has any ideas... please help.
Not sure where the cable connects to at the other end, or wether the blue bit is suposed to be in two bits (probably not), or the best way to fix this [:(]
Ideas anyone?
Cheers
andygaskell
My Cars:

Post by andygaskell »

Hi
Think I’ve fixed it, just put it back together really carefully, straightened out the Speedo cable and made sure it was threaded into the broken off housing. no too bad, definitely ok to get home.
the Speedo needle is really wobbly now though, could be for a few reasons, any suggestions....
Cheers
Andy
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Generally an unsteady speedo needle is caused by drive problems - usually a misaligned connection to the head. If part of the housing is broken then this will be your problem.
Having said that it seems from posts on here that its sometimes difficult to get Citroen needles steady.
Jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

This problem seems to be an evergreen on RHD export models - because of the rather sharp & odd bends on the cable.
Try find an old fashion "Rally" mechanical T-gear connector for the speedo cable. Then a 90 degree angle is possible to make right behind the instrument in the engine bay - and the needle will become steady.