ZX 1.9D 'Cement-Like' substance

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

geb042

ZX 1.9D 'Cement-Like' substance

Post by geb042 »

No, this isn't a joke!

Took advantage of the good weather today to have a quick look underneath my ZX to see how it's coping with winter.

With the steering full-lock to the left, I put my head under the back of the offside front wheel arch and noticed something on the back of the engine.

On an aluminium-type casing, just next to the very bottom of the plastic cam belt cover, there seemed to be a build-up of what looked just like a concrete / crystalline grey substance that fell off when I poked it. I'm wondering what this is? Could a leaky water pump be causing this (I'm not losing any water though)? Weird, but true, so any ideas welcome.

Also, with the steering on full-lock to the right, when I tap the brake there seems to be a kind of jolt noise coming from the front. Is this caused by a sticking caliper? They're new recon ones and have only been on a year.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: ZX 1.9D 'Cement-Like' substance

Post by CitroJim »

The 'cement like' stuff is crysalllised coolant from a leaky water pump I expect.

I'd say the pump seal is leaking and needs to be looked at soonest as these can let go rather suddenly and let all the coolant out.

An ideal time to change your cambelt.

If not the water pump, check the water distribution manifold at the rear of the engine; the one where the bottom hose is attached along with the heater matrix hose. There's an O ring behind it and this sometimes leaks.

The 'jolt' could well be a worn outrer CV joint. Does itr make any clicking noises if you drive around in a circle on full lock?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
geb042

Re: ZX 1.9D 'Cement-Like' substance

Post by geb042 »

Jeepers - I better start to get that one looked into! It just looks as if someone's thumbed a streak of mortar against the metal next to the plastic cambelt case.

As for the jolt, it's when I touch the brake when the car is creeping or even stopped with the steering full-lock to the right. there's no clicking fromt he 'shafts though.

Don't get be started on driveshafts - I posted some time ago that, since having a set of recon AMK driveshafts fitted, I get a vibration at about 1250 rpm that the garage says is my diff bearings on their way out. All this on a car driven gently and with only 38900 miles on the clock fron new!

I still need to get some pictures posted on here of the driveshafts - opinion on an earlier post suggested that it could be the wrong type of shaft being used. However, in winter (and being time poor) I've struggled to find the time to get it up on the ramps to take the pictures.

This problem bugs the most as fitting another set of shafts (say Citroen recon at £160 each + fitting) is an expensive experiment to see it if cures the problem that might still need a new gearbox to solve!