head gasket and heat matrix both gone :(

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Harry1975

head gasket and heat matrix both gone :(

Post by Harry1975 »

bloody sods law, just finished the work for mot ( ball joints ,boots on wishbones, boots on roll bar, new offside break caliper , front center sphere ,new LHM , all bleed,new thermostat ,housing and top rad pipe( quick release system, pain in the arse to get from citroen) i was bleeding the air out the water system and the head gasket has gone, steam coming out the exhaust ( looks like a steam train) and passager carpet wet, so heater matrix gone as well. Im not very happy as cant afford new car as need the car to earn cash to pay for it (self-employed ) chicken and egg springs to mind. well parts only £80, head gasket set, new head bolts and new heater matrix. the joys of running an old car ! Any advice on the work needed will be most welcome,its a 1.8 16v xantia N reg 120000 miles. up to now engine been sweet as a nut. taking head off tomorrow and start on taking the dash out to, so wish me some luck people as i need some at the moment [-o<
Thanks Harry
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: head gasket and heat matrix both gone :(

Post by RichardW »

:evil:

Heater matrix info linked in This post At least there will be plenty of access to the matrix connector with the head off =D> HGF on the petrols is pretty rare, but shouldn't be too arduous.
Richard W
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Dont break the water pipes going to the matrix, they cost a fortune.
Good luck with the repair
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

lucky its petrol really as the head gasket is fairly simple, the heater matrix is a boring job but not difficult, best of luck.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Harry1975

Post by Harry1975 »

thanks guys for the advice, head looks easy to get off an 1-2 hour job, dash should be fun, though do have a few panels missing at the mo, due to other repairs, Ive fitted a new gearbox to her before, which is a bugger to get out and back in again ! tomorrow will take head off and pray that its only the gasket and not the head, if so then time to scrap her